Chapter 4: Master?

"You?"

"So," the Trainer began. "the weakling dares to show his face here. You must be desperate." I glared at him.

"Who do you think you are, talking about a Pokémon like this?!"

"I'm his former trainer. Shane. I was the one who abandoned him."

"You abandoned me?" Storm repeated, tears starting to fall. "B-but..."

"Still a crybaby? Stop embarrassing yourself," Shane spat.

"Hey! You better take that back!" I snarled.

"Why? He deserves it."

"No one deserves this!" I shot back.

"What is going on here?!" Rand yelled as he marched up to us.

"Nothing much, Rand. Just a Pokémon not bonding."

"Mr. Rand, sir," I began. "Shane--"

"Shane is one of the staff here and will be addressed as such, Touya," the veteran snapped. But I could tell from the Trainer's smug grin. "You have a warning, but should I see that again, I'll have no choice but to confiscate your Styler." He led Shane back to the cabin, the latter sneering at me. I turned to Storm.

"Are you okay?" I asked. He looked up.

"I-I don't understand."

"He's a jerk. Ignore him," I replied.

"No... I simply can't understand," he sobbed. I knelt down.

"Hey. I have a question for you. Wanna be my partner?" I offered. "If you want some time alone or just to think, I understand. But Shane is not the kind of Trainer you want. So?" I saw Storm's fist tighten. He wiped his tears on his arm and looked up.

"Okay." But as he replied, I saw the hesitation in his red eyes.
------------------------------------------------------
At the end of the week, we chose our Stylers. Cassie, Travis, Tessa, and I all chose Guardian Stylers, and Shade chose a Flip Styler. Cassie's partner was a Shinx she named Lux, Travis' was a Buizel he named Jet, and Tessa's was a recently hatched Eevee named Veo. Tessa was brushing Veo's fur as Cassie was playing with Lux and Travis and Jet were training. But Shade had no Partner Pokémon for some reason.

"Alright!" Rand stood on the podium. "Now that you have your Stylers, you will practice proper capturing protocol. Ben, Summer, and Solana will help you." He revealed mannequins shaped like Pikachu. "These training targets have chips in them which will monitor your progress in a capture. As soon as you reach 100% bond, it will notify you. Observe." Rand raised his own Vantonage Styler and hit a switch. "Capture on!"

The Disc fired, and an antenna extended from the Styler. Rand made swirling movements before 'slashing' the air. In no time at all, the target glowed and played a brief track.

"Capture complete."

The students applauded until the Ranger raised his hand for silence. "Now, each of you will take one target and do ten rounds. Understand your instructions?"

"Yes sir!"
------------------------------------------------------
We all did the training rounds, but we were halfway when I heard a growl. As I looked to the woods with Storm by my side, a Dark Pulse flew at us.

"Minun, use Thunder!" Solana commanded. The attack stopped the Dark Pulse and hit something. A roar of pain echoed from the woods, and a Tyranitar stomped into the fields.

"Oh no. It's him again!" Storm backed away. I heard the bigger Pokémon laugh. I could understand him.

"So we meet again, runt," he sneered and growled. "Not so brave now, huh?"

"I-I'm not afraid of you!"

"Are you serious? You're just some weakling runt who's not even part of the litter."

"Hey!" I yelled, succeeding at getting Tyranitar's attention. "You shouldn't talk about another Pokémon like that, especially when that Pokémon is smaller than you!"

"What are you gonna do, kid?" Tyranitar bared his teeth as I raised my Styler.

"Touya, you are not to launch that Disk," Rand warned.

"Sir, Tyranitar is enraged. If allowed to go uncontrolled, it can destroy the entire camp!"

"We will handle this." The instructors raised their Stylers.

"Capture o--" They rolled out of the way of a Hyper Beam.

"I won't let you try!" Tyranitar used Stone Edge. Sharp stones orbited around the massive Pokémon, but when he launched them, a blue energy caught them. Storm was using Confusion to catch the attack.

"I'll beat you again, you big bully!"

"Hydro Pump," a voice ordered before a giant blast of water knocked Tyranitar into a tree, snapping it. I saw a Blastoise with its shell cannon aimed at the Pokémon and Shane. The boy raised a Poké Ball. "Return, Shellshock." Shellshock returned to the Poké Ball upon contact with the red light. "Now." Shane took out a black and purple Styler and aimed it at Tyranitar. "Capture on!" Within no time at all, his Flip Styler had aided him in the capture of Tyranitar, the dark ring closing in. But the Pokémon's eyes became dull, almost lifeless, as he roared.

"What'd you do?!" I demanded to know.

"Capture complete." The screen closed as Shane grinned and flipped up the middle screen, bring it to his ear. "The berserk Tyranitar has been captured. Repeat: the berserk Tyranitar has been captured." He walked away, his brown hair blowing in the summer breeze. I didn't trust him, but my hunch was only the beginning.
------------------------------------------------------
???'s POV

"Did you secure the Tyranitar?" the deep voice asked calmly. The apprentice ordered Tyranitar to step forward before placing a strap with a peculiar spherical stone on him.

"The Pokémon is ready."

"Good. Now it begins." The master raised his wrist and touched a dark stone as something generated, blocking out the sun as a transformation took place...