Chapter 3

A/N: Not done with this story yet! Wow, I can't even update a short story on schedule, but then who's surprised?

By the way, I teared up while planning and writing this chapter. Just so you know. You're welcome. :)

Let her go - Passenger
Stay - Rihanna
Stay with me - Sam smith
~~~~~~~~~~

The following morning, when Scott uncurled himself from the hospital sheets, his room was bustling with activity. There was a nurse checking the tubes and machines while a doctor was writing down some notes on a clipboard. Near the door, his bandmates were talking to each other in hushed whispers, waiting for the doctor to give them any news and to let them talk to Scott. And not surprisingly, Mitch was nowhere to be seen. Soon enough, the doctor spoke, silencing everyone as their attention turned to him.

          "Well, good morning Mr. Hoying. It's good to see that you are finally up. From the looks of it, you're healing up quite well, which is quite surprising considering this is the second time you have fractured your arm, and the same one at that! You are definitely lucky that this seems to be the only major injury you sustained in both accidents. As for your leg, there's a small crack on the fibula bone, but that should fix itself pretty soon too." He then turned to address the others in the room. "Mr. Hoying will have to stay here for one more day so that we can monitor his arm and leg recovery and to make sure he doesn't have any other injuries that we might have missed. Usually when it comes to a head on collision with a car, some head related injuries only show up after a couple of days. But if all is well tomorrow, then your friend is free to go."

They thanked him and the nurse as they left. Avi was the first to approach Scott.

          "What is with you and near death experiences? Are you secretly an adrenaline junkie, or do you just like getting hurt and scaring the shit out of us?"

Scott laughed at that, a little relieved that they could still joke like this regardless of being apart more frequently than they used to during the tour days. Though they only met a few times since the accident, there was almost no awkwardness between them whenever they did meet up. "I don't know Avi, I guess I've just been living life on the edge," he said with a chuckle.

         "But seriously though, homey," Kevin spoke up. "You've got to be more careful. It was a brave thing you did for that girl, and you were lucky you got away with your life, but I don't think we'd be able to deal with it if anything worse had happened to you."

"I know, Kev. How is the girl by the way? I kinda completely forgot about her."

           "She's fine. She's just bruised up a bit, but thanks to you, she's still well and alive." Kirstie sat down on his bed and pulled out her phone. She brought up a photo of a young adult who could definitely be confused for Mitch from the back, but was a completely different person up front. Like Kirstie said, she barely had any injuries besides a few scratches on her arms and some bruises on her leg. She had the same haircut and color as Mitch. She even had a septum piercing, but lacked the abundance of colorful tattoos that decorated Mitch's lithe body. "Her name is Lydia. She might be coming in to speak with you sometime before she leaves the hospital."

They spoke for a little while longer until Kevin and Avi excused themselves, saying they had some errands to run and promising that they would return the next day when he would be discharged. Scott hoped that Kirstie might decide to make a move as well, since he was still unsure how he would explain himself, dreading even the thought of the conversation. Unfortunately, she showed no sign of leaving anytime soon. She would obviously want to talk to him about the events of the previous day and understand what was happening to her best friend. They sat in silence after the other guys left, both waiting for the other to start talking.