Chapter 27

A month went by and Zayn hasn't spoken to Ariana or Justin ever since. He doesn't even show up to lunch anymore, because he isolated himself from the group. He even stopped talking to his best mate, Harry.

The curly haired boy knew that Zayn wanted to be alone so he let him be. Justin on the other hand was getting worried. He tried to message Zayn and never gotten a reply. He even tried to talk to him in school, but Zayn just ignores him.

Prom is tomorrow and that's all Ariana could think about. She already bought her dress, which is white and part of the top is silver. She is so excited to wear it for the special night. She's also happy that she gets to spend it with her boyfriend and friends.

Ariana was laying on her bed, watching TV. She went downstairs to get a snack from the kitchen, but stopped at the end of the stairs once she saw Harry and Zayn talking. She had a confused look on her face, because she thought that they stopped talking to each other. They both stopped talking once they notice her.

"Come on." Harry told Zayn as he walked over to the stairs.

Zayn bumped his shoulder into Ariana as he walked passed her.

"Rude." She muttered.

He turned around and looked down at her. "What was that?"

"I said rude." She repeated herself, narrowing her eyes at him.

"Ariana, stop." Harry said.

"He bumped into my shoulder." She responded.

"So?" Zayn scoffed.

"So you're rude." She crossed her arms.

"I'm rude? At least I'm not a hoe." He laughed, bitterly.

"Excuse me?" She furrowed her eyebrows. "How am I a hoe?"

"We were about to fuck while you were still with Justin! Don't you remember?!" Zayn snapped.

"Enough!" Harry got between Ariana and Zayn, pushing him back.

"Let me tell this bitch off!" Zayn tried to get closer to Ariana, but Harry kept blocking him.

"Sorry Ariana, he's drunk." Harry told the little brunette. "Just go to your room."

"But I was gonna get a bag of chips." She said.

"I'll get it for you, now please go to your room."

Ariana nodded and went back into her room. What Zayn said to her really got to her head. She is now confused with herself, not knowing what she wants. She feels like she has more chemistry with Zayn than Justin. She feels like the sparks are fading away with her and Justin. He doesn't seem so interested in her. He doesn't message her as much as he use to.

She remembered how he sounded like he wanted to break up with her a month ago before he asked her to prom. She never asked him about it and now she is curious. She grabbed her phone from the nightstand and called Justin, wanting answers.

"Hey, babe." He answered.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" She asked.

"What is it?"

"Why did you ask me to prom?"

"What do you mean? You're my girlfriend."

"But we had a fight and you wouldn't talk to me, so I thought we were taking a break."

"Did you really called me for this?"

"It's just that you sounded like you wanted to break up with me at first, before you asked me to prom."

"Look I'm tired and I need to sleep for prom tomorrow."

"You're avoiding my question, so now I know something is up."

"Nothing is up, babe. I just wanted you to be surprised."

"Sorry I was just overthinking. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

After that she ended the call and laid on her bed, sighing.

Harry entered her room with a bag of potato chips, tossing it to Ariana where it landed on her stomach.

She sat up and looked at Harry who sat on the edge of her bed.

"When I was driving home from Selena's, I saw Zayn shouting at a guy on the sidewalk. He was about to fight, but I stopped him. I can tell that he's drunk so I took him here." Harry told Ariana.

"Does he always drink?" She asked.

"No." He shook his head. "He only drinks at parties or if he's really stressed."

"Oh." She frowned.

"Goodnight, lil sis." Harry got up from her bed and left her room.

Ariana hoped that she isn't one of the reasons that Zayn is stressed, because she is starting to feel bad for him.

Harry went in his room and saw Zayn who was already knocked out on his bed.

***

Ariana woke up in the middle of the night from hearing voices from outside of her room.

"I don't think I'll ever be the same! I'm following into my dad's footsteps!" Zayn shouted.

She left her room and the commotion was coming from Harry's room. She pressed her ear against the door to eavesdrop.

"Ever since my mom evicted my dad, I been drinking a lot." Zayn's voice calmed down. "Also Ariana thinks that I'm lying to her, and it just makes things worse. I just don't know what to do anymore. Everything is falling apart."

Ariana twisted the doorknob and opened the door, causing Zayn and Harry to turned their heads.

"Sorry to interrupt, but can I talk to you in private?" Ariana asked the blonde haired boy.

Zayn looked at Harry for approval and he nodded. Zayn followed the little brunette to her room.

"I'm sorry, I was just a bit mad when you left out details." She spoke. "I felt like you were lying or hiding something." 

"I wasn't lying or hiding anything. I just didn't think it was necessary for me to mention that. I'm not a stoner, if that's what you think." He responded.

"No, it's just that I don't like hearing things about you by other people. It makes me feel like you don't trust me."

"I don't."

"What?"

"I use to, but now I'm not so sure anymore."

"Why?"

"You're so confusing."

"How?"

"We were making out then the next day you're Justin's prom date."

"I'm sorry, I know I'm confusing. I'm actually confused with myself too."

"You have a boyfriend, Ariana. You can't just talk to someone who still has feelings for you or you had feelings for."

"But we're friends..."

"I don't think we can be friends if you're gonna keep crawling back to me whenever you and Justin have a fight."

"Zayn-"

"I can't do this anymore, if I do I'm gonna hurt myself." He cut her off. "I'm sorry, but we're done. For now you are just somebody that I use to know."

Ariana stayed silent as he left the room. She sat on her bed with her head in her hands, letting out a sigh.

"I messed up."