Chapter 9; Breakfast in Amity

"Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey."

I blinked the sleep out of my eyes, as sunlight gleamed right into my vision. I groaned and rolled over, falling off the back seat of the truck and onto the carpeted floor. As soon as I landed, I jumped up and hit my head on the low ceiling. It was only then that I realized I was not at home. I was in the Siren's truck.

Thoughts of my mom boiled up before sinking down at the sight of the Siren girl smirking at me. She dropped a paper bag in my lap that smelt of fresh bread and sausage.

"No bacon or eggs actually," she said. "Just breakfast sandwiches that taste kind of like feet."

"I have never been gladder to be a vampire," Spoons said with a laugh.

I rubbed my head and looked out the window. We were in a school parking lot, but it wasn't mine. The lot was empty and the school loomed over us, dark and closed up in the summer months.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"Some tiny town," the girl answered removing a breakfast sandwich from her bag. "Amity or something."

"How long have we been here?" I asked, trying to stretch myself in the tiny space of the truck.

"We got in around sunrise," the girl said. "We need to switch cars."

"We?" Spoons chuckled. "No. The neighbor and I are switching cars. You are running back to your little Siren friends and telling them to lay off."

"No. They already think I'm dead. If I go back now they'll never stop looking for you," the girl said. "It's best if we stick together for now."

"Why in this damned earth would you want to help us?" Spoons snapped. "Aren't you afraid I'll eat all your children?"

"Children are for the suburbs," the girl replied and stepped out of the truck.

Spoons looked back at me with a confounded look. I didn't really understand how I ended up with these too. Spoons was like a two sided coin. One side was charismatic and smiled as he ridiculed every flaw. The other side was monstrous. There was no charisma or smirks. It was all eyes filled with fire and sharp deadly teeth. Every time the coin flipped I felt like it would never flip back. And when it did I forgot the deadly teeth and remembered the charisma.

The girl, the Siren, was likely a sociopath. I didn't even know her name and she was inches from slicing heads off. But she was also inches away from that same charisma Spoons had. They were almost the same, I realized. They were both monsters with smirks hiding their claws and horns.

I stepped out of the truck, taking the sandwich bag with me, because I was starving. The girl was standing with the trunk open. She had something black in her hand and I realized it was a gun.

"If we're going to stick together we should go soon," the girl said. "You should really think about ditching Vampy in there."

She wasn't looking at me, but I knew she was talking to me. I glanced at Spoons in the front seat. He looked tired and paler than before. Maybe vampires did need to sleep.

"I'm not leaving him," I said. "He saved my life. I'm not going to leave him to deal with the bounty hunters you brought."

"Never met a loyal monster before," the girl said, slapping a magazine into her gun.