Chapter 6: Making A Deal

   My palms become sweaty and the carpet floors beneath me seem unsteady. This can't be happening right now. Part of me wants to turn back but the other half is yelling at me to open the doors and fight. Though the fierce shaking of the metal doors prove much too intimidating for me. So I allow my feet to carry me backwards. A feeling of dread forms in my stomach as I realize that Ethan was right. Nothing keeps the walkers away. If these many were able to stumble into town, more will surely come. The fear of that possibility evokes a trembling sensation throughout my body.

That's how it happened last time.

I continue walking backwards until I re-enter the lobby. All while fully preparing myself to inform Ethan of the situation outside. However, another surprise presents itself upon scanning the lobby. Something is missing from the scene besides the chocolate bars. Ethan Stone is nowhere to be found. I feel slightly disappointed without fully understanding why. The feeling quickly fades away when I look up to see Ethan emerging from a screening room. He has an olive-green duffel bag in hand and eyes me with curiosity.

"Thought I scared you off." He drops the bag down on the unbroken part of the snack counter. "Yet here you are."

"Thought you already left," I reply.

Ethan nods at his bag. "Had to go back to get that."

"Oh."

"Why did you come back?"

My eyes flicker behind me. "We have a problem outside."

"There's always a problem," Ethan says. He unzips his bag and pulls out a 9mm handgun.

I take several steps back and clutch my machete tighter.

"Take it easy, shrimp. This isn't for you." Ethan zips his bag back up and swings it over his shoulder. "It's for those creatures outside."

"I thought you didn't have any weapons," I say, keeping my distance.

He chuckles. "What dumb ass goes to an abandoned cinema with no backup weapons?"

I think it over. "Good point."

"How many Z's are out there?" Ethan asks.

I frown. "I'm not sure."

He rubs a hand over his face in frustration. "How could you not get a good enough look to count them?"

My more defensive side kicks in. "I didn't exactly want to stick around with their hungry eyes on me."

"Whatever," he murmurs. "It's too late to go back and check."

"Why is it too late?" I ask.

"Going back and having them spot us will rile them up more," he replies, inspecting his 9mm handgun.

I start to offer up an idea just as a loud banging sound echoes out from the hallway. Ethan strides over and grabs me. My eyes widen. I quickly try to release myself from his grip.

"Suit yourself." He lets go. "I'm going to look for an emergency exit. Enjoy getting bit by the monsters."

Ethan turns on his heels in the opposite direction. I cross my arms in annoyance. He appears to be just as rude as he was since I last laid eyes on him. And I last saw him at an emergency assembly organized by Principal Eisenhower. The assembly was put together in the gym after news of the virus broke. Everyone gave our greying principal the respect he deserved while he talked to us. Then, there was Ethan Stone with his uncaring attitude, rolling his eyes during the entirety of it.