Chapter Twelve

Edited

    "Would you like some more?" The compelled bartender of the Mystic Grill offers as I lean against the bar. "You're looking a little bored."

    "More depressed than bored," I correct before shrugging at him. "But sure, why not?"

    I grab his offered wrist before harshly biting into it. He winces, but I ignore it. I'm a vampire, I'm supposed to hurt people. I can hear his heart beat fast. I compelled him to stay calm when speaking to me, but his heartbeat will give everything away.

God this feels good.

"Miss Gilbert?" The bartender questions before wincing again. "You told me...to stop you if...I was feeling..."

I pull away, gasping a little at the sudden intake of air. I wipe the blood from my chin, almost feeling a little dizzy from that mixed with all the alcohol I've downed.

    "Three more shots," I command before resting my head on my hand. "Then you're relieved."

    He nods. Before he could get my shots, someone comes up and leans over the counter. "Don't listen to her," Stefan compels, making me groan in annoyance, "Go back to your job and pretend we were never here."

    He sits beside me as I rub my eyes. "Why did you do that?" I groan out.

    He gestures to the entire restaurant. "I see you've been busy."

    I give a dismissive wave. "Relax, they're all compelled to forget this once I leave."

    Suddenly, his hand is lightly slapping my cheek, making me slap his hand away. Stefan sighs. "Gabby, you're drunk. I think it's time to get you home."

    I scoff. "Fine. I'll find someone else to serve me or whatever," I let out. I slide off my seat. Instead of landing on my feet to talk away like I intended, I land on my knee, scraping it a little.

    I pout as Stefan helps me to my feet, watching in wonder as the scrape quickly heals. He wraps an arm around my waist to keep me steady against him, allowing me to giggle.

     I snuggle myself against him, embracing the touching even if it's momentary. "You're warm," I mumble against him.

    Damon used to hold you like this.

    The single thought nearly conjures the tears I've been withholding. I need more blood, I tell myself. Stefan sits me on my barstool, making me sigh. I gesture to the scared woman sitting in a booth, telling her to come over.

She obliges, like she was supposed to, and makes her way to me. I don't notice Klaus walk in or even sit on the barstool beside Stefan until Stefan demands, "What are you doing here, Klaus?"

"Enjoying our stalemate," Klaus replies with his own glare.

I give a small grin as the woman finally approaches me. My vampire face reappears as I ready myself to bite. I end up biting air as Stefan moves her out of my way.

"What the hell?" I snap, attempting to reach for her.

"Don't," Stefan warns before looking back at Klaus. "What do you want?"