F I V E

"I can't let him do this." I murmur before getting up and sprinting towards the house, the guards already incapacitated by Erik's impulsive rage.

I hear footsteps behind me and I turn to see Charles running towards the house with me. I slow down until he catches up, the two of us continuing in silence until we stumble
across one of the guards wrapped in barbed wire. He is crying out in pain and thrashing against the metal, which is only worsening his wounds.

"For God's sake, Erik!" Charles sighs before turning to the man, kneeling beside him. "Be calm."

"I can loosen the wire." I offer quietly and Charles nods at me as I lift my hands towards both this guard and the unconscious man a few yards away, manipulating the wires around them and untangling them.

Charles glances at the other unconscious guard before saying something Russian, having tapped into the man's mind and picked up the language. The man's head falls back and Charles and I once again begin to run towards the door.

We manage to catch up to Erik, running into the General's room at the same time he does. We see the General sitting on his bed, murmuring in Russian and looking like he was running his hands up and down someone's body even though the woman we saw earlier is seated on a chair across the room.

"Nice trick," Charles says drily to the woman and he catches his breath as the man in bed suddenly snaps out of his daze, focusing his eyes on the three of us standing by the door before demanding something in Russian and grabbing his gun. "Go to sleep!" Charles raises his hand towards the man.

As Charles gives this command, I rip the gun from him and it flies towards me, landing in my glove-covered hand. I set it aside onto a table before turning my attention back to the woman, who now appears to be made of diamonds. Charles raises his hand to his temple, and I shift uncomfortably, wondering if I should physically manipulate the woman. I prefer not to take control of someone's body unless it is an emergency, as I had done when Hank was falling from the ladder.

"You can stop trying to read my mind, Sugar," She kicks Charles out of her mind, making him wince. "You're never going to get anything from me when I'm like this." She refers to her diamond-like body.

Charles, Erik and I exchange a glance before she begins to charge at us. I lift my hand, throwing her backwards against the foot of the bed, where Erik moves the metal to clamp around her wrists.

"So, then, you can just tell us," Erik says and tightens the metal around her. "Where's Shaw?"

She struggles against the restraints, her silence angering Erik more than before. He moves a bit of metal to wrap around her neck, causing her to choke.

"Erik." Charles warns lowly as Erik tightens the metal. "Erik, that's enough," the diamond around her neck begins to crack. "Erik, that's enough!"

At a point of not caring if it angers Erik, I lift my palm towards the metal winding around her throat, fighting against his power on it until it loosens and breaks off of the bed, shooting back and smacking against my palm. I clench my fist around it and Erik sends me a sharp look, but the feeling of Charles' hand landing on his shoulder snaps him out of his anger as the woman transforms back into her human form.

"All yours," Erik gestures at the woman, saying that Charles can now read her mind since she is out of her diamond form. "She won't be shifting into diamond form again. And if she does, just give her a gentle tap."

Charles ignores him, kneeling in front of her and lifting his hand to his temple again, looking into her mind and gathering all information she is harboring.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" She says after Charles had extracted what he needed.

"This is worse than we previously imagined," Charles says to Erik and I before turning back to the woman. "We're taking you with us. CIA will want to question you themselves."

"Oh, I doubt it. They have bigger things to worry about right now." She says in a way that sends chills down my spine.