Living With a Different Species

CHAPTER 1

Winterbliss was trotting around the town watching the other ponies. It was an average day in Ponyville; the sun was shining brightly through the streets, an occasional shadow of a pegasi zoomed over the ground, unicorns and earth ponies alike were doing their usual duties. Winter's stomach growled and she remembered the reason for coming out. She spread her wings wide and glided across the town. Each tree flew by and she slowed as she neared Sugarcube Corner.

"Good morning, Pinkie," she greeted the prancing pony as she collapsed her wings. She started to trod into the bakery when she heard a familiar noise. There was a pony flapping their wings in the alley nearby. Winterbliss dropped into a crouch and flew above the building. She peered over to see exactly what she expected. Hovering in the alley right next to Sugarcube Corner was Winterbliss's newly wed husband, Keir. Keir is a changeling pony but Winter doesn't care about that, she loves him for his true self. He didn't realize he was being watched for he was too busy scanning the other ponies. Winterbliss swooped down behind him closest to the dead end. Closing up her wings she walked towards him and caught him off guard. Without a moment's hesitation he dashed and threw her into the wall, causing her to get a giant slice down her flank. Keir looked into her eyes with such anger and hatred, Winterbliss thought she saw a glint of pure evil. He crushed her body into the wall and covered her muzzle until he heard the bones in her wings crack. She closed her eyes tight and felt a stinging tear roll down her cheek and touch Keir's muzzle. The warmth of the tear warmed him up and he let go, changing his attitude immediately.

Dropping to the cold, hard floor, Winterbliss's body fell with a thud forcing all the air straight out of her. Gasping, she slowly pulled herself to a sitting position trying desperately to process what just happened. Having missed breakfast, her energy was completely drained.

Keir looked at what he just did, glancing from the dent in the wall to his collapsed wife. Instantaneously he swooped to his lover's side and tried soothing her between desperate apologies. She tugged away and lay limp. Out of breath, she watched as darkness engulfed her and the sound of her attacker died away. The last thing she felt was her head swing down as her body was lifted off the ground. The rough hooves under her struggled as her mind gave way.

Winterbliss found herself blinking away sleep in new surroundings. She was on a cloud in a sky she had never seen. Instead of the familiar blue sky above Ponyville, she was in the middle of a forestry meadow. Anxiety gripped her as the thought of the Everfree Forest popped in her head. She calmed down as the sound of water trickling down a stream appeared behind her and realizing the cloud was close to the ground she got distracted by the swinging vines holding the cloud so low.

She bent her head and saw Keir by the stream sleeping on a bundle of dried leaves. Winterbliss stretched her wings and yelped in pain as the bones collided and shifted outwards. Keir jumped to his feet knocking some of the leaves into the stream. He glanced towards the cloud knowing that Winterbliss had finally awoken. He swooped up to where she lay and started to examine her wings. As he started to tend to his wife, she flinched, obviously not forgetting how her wings became this way in the first place. She lay on her stomach, head turned to watch every movement he made.

"Look, I'm sorry, alright? Can I just help?" Keir could sense Winterbliss's uneasiness and felt uncomfortable. Getting no reply, he started to try to help. Again, Winterbliss craned her neck to watch and kept her eyes on him intensively. Keir flew down to the ground to fetch some water. He grabbed a large leaf and dipped it into the water. He carefully flew back up to the cloud, making sure not to spill a single drop. He laid down the water and found Winterbliss had flipped over so her wings were inside the cloud. She smiled at him through narrowed eyes. He gave a smirk and simply flew back down to the ground below.