Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"You sound very, very familiar..."

Shit.

I sighed and put a hand to my head. This was it. It was nice while it lasted, but he knew. How could he not piece this together? I was about to begin my three part apology about why I didn't tell him who I was from the start when Mom spoke first.

"Do I? I get that all the time. How are you..." she trailed off. I looked to her, incredulously. She rolled her eyes, and winked at me. I stared at her.

"Answer!" she mouthed at me and turned back to Alex with a smile.

"Alex," I filled in. He had an eyebrow raised and turned his focus from Mom to me.

"Alex! Hello, Clara's told so much about you! I wish she could've given me some notice that you were coming over..." she trailed off, her voice giving off that motherly authority. I knew she wasn't really upset about me not saying anything, but playing the role in front of Alex. I was glad for it. I wouldn't have been so quick to act so normal.

I turned back to Alex. He looked very confused but then, in a split second, his expression relaxed and he smiled.

"Oh no, please, it's my fault. I'd asked Clara to help me today and I thought I'd be more effective learning somewhere I haven't been before..." he trailed off. "Uh, I'm sure Clara has, um, explained about my, uh..." he trailed off again, his cheeks turning a peachy red. I was momentarily shocked at his words. Was he actually taking the blame from me? Suddenly, remembering his last words, I turned to my mom. She rolled her eyes again and smiled.

"Don't strain yourself, Darling. Yes, Clara's told me and no, it's totally fine. I don't mind that you're here," she walked over to the fridge and grabbed a water bottle.

"Well, it looks like Clara's also forgotten her manners. Honey, would you like something to drink? A bottle of water? Soda? We also have Capri-Sun," she said. I watched Alex hesitantly take a step forward from the door way to the living room where he had been standing for the whole conversation. I walked over to him and lead him to the bar stools we had just outside the kitchen.

"High stool to your left," I mumbled. He felt for it gingerly and sat into it. I sat in the one beside him and watched my mom start making sandwiches.

"Uh, a bottle of water, thanks," Alex said. Mom looked up and nodded to me and I rolled my eyes. I got up and walked to the fridge to grab a water bottle for Alex and a Capri-Sun pouch for me.

"And sandwiches, Hon? Is peanut butter and jelly ok?" she asked. I pressed the water bottle to touch Alex's knuckles and he responded by grabbing it. I yanked the straw off my Capri-Sun pouch, quickly unwrapped it, and poked it into the pouch.

"Oh, no please. I'm not hungry. Thank you, though," Alex said. Immediately following his words, his stomach let out a loud protesting growl. I laughed from beside Alex and shoved his shoulder playfully.

"You know it's not a bad thing if you say you're actually hungry," I said. He rolled his eyes at me then turned back to my mom with a stunning smile. I felt a small tinge of jealousy that he was being so nice to my mom yet so rude to me, but it quickly vanished.

"Alright. Yes, Clara's Mom, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich sounds delightful," he said. I scoffed and turned to Alex.

"'Delightful'?" I teased, low enough to reach only his ears. He turned and shushed me. I laughed and turned to face my mom.

"We were about done. I was just gonna teach him one more thing or two," I explained. Mom turned to me and winked.

"Oh, please! Don't stop on my account. I think I'm just gonna take a nap in my room. If you guys need anything, don't hesitate to wake me and ask," Mom walked over to us with our sandwiches and placed one in front of each of us. I was about to tell Alex when Mom beat me to it.