Chapter Five: Dance Lessons

Haruhi's dance lessons began the next day, right after my own performance. I'd completely forgotten about it but had successfully made one up on the spot. Now, Haruhi was being taught by the girl with the host-hopping disease, Princess Kanako, while Tamaki sat scowling in the window corner. I wasn't sure what he was more upset about; the fact that it was his stolen client that was training Haruhi, or that it wasn't him.

"Aww, what's wrong?" I asked Tamaki in a baby voice and pinched one of his cheeks.

"Yeah, why so gloomy boss?" the twins asked.

"I bet it's because he wanted to be the one that Haruhi practices with," Hikaru said.

"I think you may be right, but he's way too tall to stand in as a woman," Kaoru added.

"Aww, someone has a crushy-wushy on Haruhi," I said to Tamaki like he was a one-year old.

"I do not have a crushy-wushy," Tamaki mumbled. "Did we even check if you can waltz, Miyoko?" He asked.

"You've seen me dance."

"That may be so," Kyoya said, popping up out of nowhere and pushed up his glasses, "but we've only seen you dance in the contemporary ballet style, we have no idea if you've been taught to waltz."

"I have, my father taught me when I was young."

"That's not good enough!" Tamaki declared. "Someone teach my little girl how to waltz immediately!"

"I've got it, boss," Hikaru said and took my hand, then guided me over towards where Haruhi was practicing. I put my left hand on his shoulder, his right on my waist, and we clasped our two remaining hands together. Of course, he led, and I had no trouble keeping up with him.

"I guess you can waltz," he said.

"See, told ya," I said, and tried to not make it obvious that I was glancing down at our feet every so often.

"But you have to look at your partner more directly. Like this," he said, and tilted my head up ever so slightly with his fingers, so that our eyes were connected. Every time I caught myself looking away I remembered what he said and connected our eyes once more.

"Why do I have to learn to waltz? The girls are only going to dance with you guys," I said.

"Well maybe one of us will ask you to dance." He shrugged.

"Will you?"

"I don't know, maybe."

"Well I guess you'll be too busy dancing with all of the other girls."

"Don't worry, I'll save a special dance for you," he said and winked. The song ended and we let go of each other.

When Hikaru looked away for a quick second, I gave him a swift peck on the cheek. "Thank you for helping me practice, Hikaru. I was a little rusty."

He smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of his head. "You're a good partner."

I looked around for Haruhi and saw that she had already ended her dance and was now talking with Kyoya and another tall boy who was holding a box. Kanako was sitting at a table alone, while listening to their conversation.

"So, do you sell tea sets?" Haruhi asked the boy as I walked up to them.

"No, I'm just a regular student. Can't you tell by the uniform?" he asked kindly. Haruhi took the box from him and examined it.

Kanako laughed from where she was sitting, and turned herself in her chair to be facing the three of them. "Oh, Haruhi, you're so funny," she said. "I can't blame you for not knowing. After all, he doesn't really look like an heir to a first-class company."

"First-class company?" Haruhi wondered out loud. The boy and Kanako gazed at each other with eyes full of love and hurt.What an interesting combination.

"His family's business, the Suzushima trading company, deals primarily in the importing of table wear. They currently have the top market share in the country," Kyoya informed us.

"That's very impressive," I said to him, but his eyes never left Kanako.

"Whenever something exceptional comes in, we've asked him to send it our way. He has a great eye for fine china, don't you, Suzushima?" Kyoya asked.

He finally fell out of his trance and addressed Kyoya with a sheepish grin. "You think? I've still got a lot to learn, but thank you."

"Aren't you leaving next month to study abroad in England?"

"Yes, I am. Well, I'd better go now," he said, biding us goodbye and then he left the room, and Kanako had turned back to her tea.

"So, are you enjoying the host club?" Takami asked her.

"Princess, are you okay? You look a bit upset. Would you like me to get anything for you?" I asked her. She fumbled with her words.

"Oh, no, I'm fine. Thank you, Miyoko," she said.

"I get the feeling that you and that guy are kind of close," Haruhi said.

Kanako freaked out and began talking faster than she normally did. "Don't be ridiculous, we hardly know each other. What makes you say that, Haruhi? Now if you'd please excuse me," she said and slunk out of the room.

"Haru-chan!" Honey yelled and jumped onto Haruhi's back like a monkey. "Guess what? They do know each other! Suzushima is Kasuga-chan's fiancé!"

"Really?" I asked and gently pried Honey off of Haruhi's back.

"Kyoya, how long have you known about this?" Tamaki asked and crossed him arms.

"About the two of them being engaged?" he asked, and opened the black book that he always seemed to be carrying around with him. "Well as you know I conduct general searches on all of our customers. The two of them were childhood friends, it seems that their engagement was arranged by their parents. I didn't think the information would benefit us so I disregarded it," he said.

I crept up beside him and strained my neck to be able to see the page that he was looking at.

"Tohru Suzushima. Outstanding grades, fair social status, ordinary looking, but reliable. Do you really keep track about this sort of information?" I asked while reading off of the info page. Kyoya snapped the book shut before I could read any further.

"True, he does seem to be a good guy, but if I had to fault him for anything..." Kyoya said.

"He doesn't have much presence," Hikaru said.

"And he's faint-hearted," Kaoru added.

"So in other words, he's boring," Kyoya said bluntly.

"Suzushima is a good boy, right?" Honey asked while sitting on Mori's shoulders. I smiled at how adorable he was.

"Yeah," Mori answered blandly.

"Alright everyone, we'll have to work on our strategy," Tamaki said, taking charge of whatever situation we were in.

"Which one?" everyone asked.

"Men and Miyoko, it is our responsibility as members of the elite Ouran host club to make every girl happy!" he declared.

¤¤¤

The day of the party I heard someone knocking on the front door. Ranka and Haruhi had left to do some shopping, so I was left to answer the door. Standing there in front of me was a long dress garment bag. I looked at it strangely, but realized there was a man standing behind it when he coughed to draw my attention.

"Miss Miyoko Fujioka?" he asked.

"Oh... yes, this is she."

"I'm delivering this to you in the name of the Hitachiin twins," he said. He handed me the bag and another box without a single word, and I was left there with the new mysterious dress and a confused look upon my face. I retreated back to my room and laid the dress bag onto the bed. I unzipped it carefully to reveal a short black dress. From just glancing at it I knew it must have been made by a designer label. While taking out the dress to examine it closer, a small blue paper fell from the bag. I picked it up and unfolded the note. Neat letters were printed across it like each word was precious.

You can pay me back with a dance.
~ Hikaru