Chapter Five

Five

The first time Caleb kissed Callie, the two of them had been listening to music in his bedroom. They were fifteen and Callie's father had been away to a conference for their church. Five days without listening to him screaming at her for being in the way, for not being the perfect daughter. Her mother had let her eat ice cream for breakfast, they watched T.V. late into the night, and gossiped about boys. But like all good things, reality came crushing down on them when her father arrived home a day early and found his perfect house wasn't so perfect. He turned his rage toward Callie's mother, and Callie was able to slip out of the house undetected. As usual, she found herself climbing into Caleb's bedroom.

He didn't say anything as he made room for her on his bed and offered her one of his earbuds. For hours, they didn't utter a sound, just lying in peaceful silence. Then, out of the blue, Caleb pulled the earbuds out of their ears, rolled onto his side. As he brought his hand up to her face, caressing her cheek, she felt herself trembling, tears welled in her eyes, and her chest ached as her breathing shallowed.

He leaned forward and just before his lips could touch her, he said, "I love cherry ChapStick."

And then he kissed her.

That kiss, however, had been gentle and brief, sweet and almost timid. The way he was currently kissing her was nothing like that first kiss. His lips were demanding, his arms holding her firmly against his body with need and want, desire radiating off of him in waves that had Callie reeling for more. She'd missed the way he kissed her, the way he held her close. She felt safe with him, worthy and beautiful.

Gasping for air, he ended the kiss. His warm breath trickled down her neck, across her collarbone. Her skin erupted in bumps and she shivered, though she wasn't cold.

"Let me take you home," he whispered, his lips once more brushing across hers.

Her breathy reply trickled from between her lips. "Okay."

The smile that crept up on his face was adorable, the joy and happiness had her giggling.

Caleb kissed her once more before sweeping her off her feet. "Dude, we're leaving. Be good and don't get arrested," he yelled, tilting his head toward the backward patio.

A moment later, she heard Kieran's animated reply. "I make no promises."

Laughing, Callie tightened her arms around Caleb as he carried her out of The Drunk Tank. Parked outside the front door was his old beat-up, Chevy truck. She'd spent so many nights curled up next to him as he drove through town. In fact, it had been this truck where he told her about The Velvet Dolls being offered a recording deal. This truck where he told her he was leaving as soon as they graduated. And this truck where he made love to her the night her mother killed her father in self-defense.

"I can't believe you still have this thing," she murmured as he set her back on her feet.

Caleb snorted and opened the passenger door. "Dad threatened to sell it for scrap more times than I can count, but Mom wouldn't let him. When they moved to Vermont, they put it in a garage for me. It's silly, I know, but this truck means a lot to me."

"Me, too." Callie leaned up and kissed him. "I'm glad you kept it."

"How could I not? This truck was a part of us. It was my connection back to you."

Tears filled her eyes and though she was embarrassed at becoming emotional, she managed to smile. "Take me home."

"With pleasure."