Chapter Six.

Valerie met up with Mary and Brycen outside of Chance's house. Wait, stratch that. His house was more like a mansion! It was a whole lot bigger than Valerie and Mary's house combined.

"I'm like in love with your dress!" Mary exclaimed, drooling over Valerie's peach-colored Ostart Sexy Lady Lace 3/4 sleeve one-piece dress. "Where did you get it?!"

"Thank you," Valerie thanked with a kind smile. "And I got it from my mom's friend that made this dress. She gives my mom free clothes that only I can fit in."

"It makes you look hot!" Brycen smirked, wrapping an arm around Valerie's waist.

Mary smiled, but didn't see any love in their eyes. This obviously made her confused, since she knew that all through middle school that Valerie always drooled over Brycen. You see, Valerie and Brycen didn't show any feelings towards each other, because they were just best friends. That's what they will always be.

"Mary, seriously where did you get your dress, shoes, and jewelry from?" Valerie asked, hugging Brycen's waist. "You know I love your outfit."

Mary, like usual, looked down at what she was wearing: a black lace flower print skater dress, sueded side bow Mary Jane pumps, Jamie Jewellery multi heart chain bracelet, and to top it all off, she had on her favorite Michael Kors Collection glam rock pyramid stud earrings. "Oh thanks! I got the dress from online, I got the pumps from Charlotte Russe, and I don't know where I got this bracelet and these earrings from. My mom bought them."

Brycen shook his head, not understanding any of the girl talk. "I don't even know any of those words you two just said."

"Cause you're a guy! Of course you wouldn't understand!" Both girls laughed.

"Why don't you go over to Chance and Baleigh?" Valerie randomly asked in a demanding tone, releasing her arms from his waist.

"Uh, why?" Brycen questioned, oblivious to Valerie's demanding tone.

"Because I'm breaking up with you!" Valerie shouted with a serious, but joking, face. "I don't love you anymore, I've found someone else!"

"What?!" He shouted back, a fake hurt and angry expression. "Who is he? What's so great about him that I don't have?"

At this point, everyone turned their heads to their direction, wondering what all the commotion was about. Little did they know it was a fake fight between two best friends.

"He's hotter and more caring than you will ever be!" Val's face had fake tears going down, clinging to Mary's arm. "Mary ships me and him, unlike you and me!"

"Yeah! He's a whole lot hotter than you, and treats her better than you!" Mary joined in, wrapping her arms protectively around her best friend.

"Mary! Val! Brycen! Stop with the fake arguments!" Valerie's mother scolded, making the three best friends pout.

"But we were having fun, Mom!" She complained, hugging both Mary and Brycen. "Can't you see we love each other?"

Her mother and Mary's mother rolled their eyes. "Just go to your seats."

The three continued to pout as they walked into the Martins' mansion. They walked into the gigantic dining hall that had gold-colored walls with chandelier wall lamps to light them up. In the center was the long extended wooden dining table that had different entrees, desserts, and side dishes from north to south. In front of each velvet chair, there was a small name tag for each guest. This is how it was every few months.

"Who are you sitting by?" Mary asked, still looking for her name.

"I don't know..." Valerie answered, also still scavenging for her name. "I haven't found mine yet."

At that exact moment, the two worst enemies showed up. Jennifer and Baleigh Hills. Jennifer Hills was Baleigh's 21 year old sister that happened to be married to an unbelievably rich man. It explains a lot if you ever meet her.

"Have you losers found our seats?" Baleigh asked, a smirk on her lips as Chance wrapped an arm around her waist.

"No, but even if we did we would never fucking tell you," Valerie retorted, finally finding her seat, which was in between Mary and Chance.

"You tell them, girl," Mary whispered, sitting down next to her.

Everyone started piling in, searching for their seats as well. Brycen sat down in front of Valerie, and was followed by Kirkland. Valerie could just sense Mary's mood lighten up.

"Are you and Kirkland dating yet?" Valerie asked in a whisper.

"No!" Mary pouted, crossing her arms over her chest. "I wish we were, but he just hasn't popped the question yet."

"Well he needs to hurry up."

Mary nodded, smiling at Kirkland from across the table. Valerie suddenly noticed there was an outline of a person on her left, making her stiffen once she saw who it was.

"Hey Val," Chance greeted with a small smirk growing. "I didn't see you that much today at school. Where were you?"

"Trying to stay as far away from you as I possibly can," Valerie retorted with a glare, also crossing her arms over her chest.

"Why? I thought you liked me?" Chance questioned, confusion in his voice. Typical Chance Brennin Martins.

"Doesn't today's 'I fucking hate you' ring a bell?"

Chance shook his head, trying not to laugh as she cursed. He always liked when she cursed, it made him laugh. "Nope, doesn't ring a bell or a triangle."

"You're so freaking stupid," Valerie muttered, wanting to bang her head on the table. "I wish you would go away."

"Be careful what you wish for!" Chance exclaimed, covering his mouth with his hand as he fake gasped. "You wouldn't want me to go away, would you?"

That was what made Valerie budge. She banged her head against the table, making Chance and the guys laugh. "Chance, go away!"

"I can't! This is my seat!" He argued. "And you can't go away either because that is your seat. So, you're just gonna be stuck with me for five hours."

"So freaking perfect," Valerie replied sarcastically. "I hope it never ends!"

"That's the spirit!"

That just made Valerie want to bang her hand on the table even more. Even though Chance was good looking, she hated him. She hated everything about him, starting with how he was annoying. "Sarcasm, sweetie. I was using sarcasm!"

"Oh. Well, you don't have to be so mean when you say it."

Valerie facepalmed herself, trying to make him get the hint that he was already pushing her buttons even more than he did today at school. "Why don't you go annoy your girlfriend?"

"Because she's too far away, duh! Plus, why annoy someone beautfiul like her when I can annoy someone like you?"

"What is that suppose to mean?" Valerie snapped, her eyes filled with firing rage. "Are you trying to say that I'm not pretty or beautiful? Cause there is some guys here that would love to disagree with you on that topic!"

"Dude, she's not ugly. She's amazingly beautiful," Daniel Vincent argued, giving Valerie a huge smile. "Don't listen to him, princess. He's just stupid and has Baleigh."

Valerie immediately smiled at Daniel's comment. "Thank you, Daniel."

"No problem, Valerie," He replied, flicking Chance upside his head. "Some guys are just not able to see the beauty in girls. Chance is one of them."

That made Valerie laugh, while it made Chance scowl. "I'm not blind, man. I can see beauty because I have a gorgeous girl named Baleigh Renae Hills. And who do you have again Daniel?"

"Nobody," Daniel replied. "Because I hate dating sluts, whores, cheaters, and liars. I guess you don't mind, do you Chance?"

"Baleigh isn't any of those things!" Chance growled.

"Whatever," He muttered, walking back over to his seat, which was next to Jennifer Hills and Andrew Sauter.

"You just had to drive a cute guy that thought I was beautiful away didn't you?" Valerie sneered at Chance, angry once again.

"There will be plenty of guys that will like you, Valerie," Chance glared, replying low enough so that Baleigh wouldn't be able to hear him. "I know this because you're also gorgeous. Don't go to Daniel so he could tell you every day that you're amazingly beautiful."

"I thought you said I wasn't pretty?"

"I never said that. I'm smart enough to never tell a girl that they're not pretty."

"What exactly do you want from me, Chance?" Valerie questioned, looking down at her utensils and empty plate. She didn't dare to meet his eyes. His sky blue eyes could trap you and keep you dreaming.

"I want to be your friend again," He smiled genuinely, but it was a small one. "Can that not happen?"

"It can," Valerie smiled back, stunned at his response. "But you might want to tell your girlfriend that I'm your friend instead of her competition."

And that is how the friendship of Valerie Reeds and Chance Martins started. It was just going to have to take some time for everyone to get used to this new found friendship.