I'll Be

(Feel free to listen to the song if you want)

Some say nice guys finish last. Well for me, I think that's a true saying, but I'd rather know I was part of her life than nothing at all.

It started when the both of us were just freshman in high school. She was the shy girl; I was already the nice guy who can be friends with anyone. I talked to her; I told her she was pretty.

"Thanks Dave, you're such a nice guy."

That was her reply, the reply that I'd always be etched in my mind when we hung out.

We hung out a lot. I introduced her to my friends and they liked her as well. My friend Jeremy took a liking to her. Jeremy was a great guy, but he had an on and off girlfriend.

"Hey Dave, you're my friend, is she single?" He whispered to me during lunch time.

"Uh, I don't think you should make a move on her, what about your girlfriend?" I told him.

"She won't know, she's not gonna be here until summer break. Come on man, just help me out here." He pleaded.

I looked at her and back to Jeremy. "Sorry man, no can do."

I thought that was the end of it, but the next week I heard she was going out with Jeremy. They looked so in love something inside me began eating up. At first I didn't think of it, but soon I realized I liked her as well. I was so adamant on protecting her from Jeremy that time 'cause I really cared about her. I decided to tell her soon about Jeremy's on and off girlfriend, I just couldn't see her get hurt by him.

"Hey, umm, can I talk to you?" I asked her, but just when I was about to tell her about it,

"Oh my god Dave, look at what Jeremy gave me," She brought up her wrist to my face and I saw the same bracelet Jeremy bought his girlfriend years ago on her wrist. "Isn't he the sweetest?"

I was about to object, but I stopped. I saw her face. The face of someone who's happiness radiated from just one simple gift. I couldn't talk, I just smiled at her. I cared for her too much to see her unhappy.

The fourth week I heard the news that Jeremy's girlfriend apparently came back so soon. His girlfriend had a big fight with Jeremy knowing he cheated.

But her,

She was sulking in a corner back in the classroom. Her nose pink from crying. I slowly walked to her, careful not to startle her. She saw me, I hated what I saw. Her eyes were brimming with tears ready to fall. She outstretched her arms unable to say anything. I hugged her instantly, comforting her, saying soothing words that everything would be alright and she'd find someone better.

Me perhaps?

A year passed and she changed, gone was the girl who was shy, and there she was looking so confident and beautiful. Puberty did her well I guess. Of course, since then, she has dated a lot of guys in our school. Some too mature, some too childish. Not one of them lasted with her.

Of course, I'd be the one to pick her up after each breakup. One minute she's happy, the next she's bawling her eyes out from the many exes she's cried over. I didn't tell her about my feelings for her cause I was scared to lose her.

Senior year came and she was this gorgeous senior who any guy would want to take to prom.

Prom.

"Hey any idea who you'd be asking to prom?" She asked me one time while walking to class.

"No one at the moment. You? I mean, how about you? " I sheepishly looked at her nervously.

"Well I'm thinking of someone, but I don't know if he'd like to take me to prom." She answered.

"Are you kidding me? Any guy would love to go to that darn prom with you."

"Would you?" She looked at me and stopped walking. I stopped as well, surprised with her question. I thought that at that moment she had an idea I did like her.

"Well yeah." I smiled at her.

She beamed and smiled widely. "Well if that's the case, since you said it would, I guess he'd be too."

I did a double take and thought I heard wrong, "Umm, who's he?"

"Brent, your best friend. He hasn't really asked me, but I'm just making sure since you and him are like twins, you'd probably agree with a lot of things."

My heart broke so fast right then as I saw her bid goodbye to go to her class. Brent was my best friend and neighbor. I didn't focus at all on my class and quite frankly to anything at all as I went back home.

I got a text from Brent saying him and her were going to prom. Brent jokingly told me to hurry and find a partner so we could both carpool going to prom.

Eventually I found one, but I wasn't paying attention to her. The person I was paying attention was her and Brent who were seated at the back seat while me and my date were in the front, with me driving. She looked so beautiful with that blue dress. Seeing her link her arm on Brent's made it more difficult for me to concentrate.

I wanted to dance with her but I just stood there stoic as a stone. My date was lingering around not caring anymore I wasn't paying attention to her. Prom ended and so was my decision to pursue her.

Just seeing her happy made me happy even if it's not with me. Me and her went to different colleges but still kept in touch, along with Brent. They were still together after 5 years.

They didn't last long because at some point while I was minding my work, a knock came from my door and as I opened it, I saw her crying. Me being the pathetic friend, I led her in and comforted her. Brent apparently cheated on her with another girl who was his colleague. I told her she was welcome and can make herself comfortable. The next day, I confronted Brent, and by confront I mean punched him in the face.

By Christmas, I had the guts to tell her my feelings and I did.

PRESENT DAY

"Grandpa, do you believe in true love?" My 20 year old grandson, Tim, asked me during his weekly visits to the home of the aged.

"Yes, because I've been in love with the same woman for nearly 50 years." I reminiscence.

My grandson beamed.

"Too bad she's with someone else." I smiled sadly.

YEARS AGO AT CHRISTMAS EVE

I told her my feelings and the face she gave me was one I'd never forget.

"I'm sorry Dave, but I just think of you as a friend, a really nice friend."

END.

Liked this?

Let me know on the comments below, and if you want another story, just comment or write on my wall on what song I should base my story next.

Thank you!