Hero

You two met in Freshmen year of high school. You being new to town and Lauren living here all her life. You were sitting in homeroom when Lauren approached you and started talking to you. She started with the basic questions, the one you'd always ask a new student.

"Where are you from? How old are you?"

You didn't mind the questions, though. But when she was done questioning you, you started to question her. Asking her if she's from Miami, asking how old she is. You two are the same age -- fourteen.

By the time the day was over, and you were getting ready for bed, you had made a new friend.

Sophomore year you two were practically best friends. You guys did everything together -- if it was allowed. Lauren had introduce you to a few other people; Dinah, Normani, Camila, and Ally.

Now, in your second year of high school, you started to go to parties. Your first party was interesting, seeing how you didn't know what to do.

People were drinking and dancing. Least to say, you felt so uncomfortable and out of place. Luckily Lauren noticed, so she asked if you wanted to get out of here. You obviously said yes, and then you two told Ally and left.

You followed Lauren down the dark streets of Miami, walking under lampposts and on the sidewalk. She made her way over to the park, and you finally made note of where you two were.

You sat on the swings next to Lauren, staring at her side profile. Lauren was staring up at the sky, admiring the moon and the stars. It was silent between you two, the only noise to be heard were the crickets.

As you stared at Lauren, you realized she was absolutely stunning. Now, you didn't say that aloud, not wanting Lauren to think you have the wrong idea.

Junior and Senior year were the most exciting years.

Junior year, you told Lauren that you were gay. She said she accepted you and loved you no matter what, along with your four other friends. They all loved you for who you are.

But none of that mattered as you laid in your bed and silently cried into Lauren's shoulder. For hours you cried as she tried to calm you down, and then she asked;

"Why are you crying?"

"I- I know that you all accept me," you said. "But what about my Dad? What if he's looking down on me in shame?"

Lauren sighed, and you felt her sigh.

"Y/N," Lauren began. "Your Dad died in the military, right?" you nodded. "He was fighting for your freedom. Which means you're free to be whoever you want, okay? I'm pretty sure he's proud of you."

That seemed to calm you down. That night, you two fell asleep in your bed. Your head on Lauren's lap, eyes closed and arms wrapped around her waist.

By Junior year, you were more experienced with parties. They began to grow on you, but anytime you had a chance to leave with Lauren and go to the park, you took it and ditched the party.

Lauren also liked the parties, but her grades were becoming important to her also. You had no problem with that, wanting your best friend to have the best education she can. Plus, with softball practice you could understand why Lauren would be so tired the next day and just want to say in and watch Netflix. Some days you stayed in just to watch it with her.

You realized Lauren had many talents. Art, singing, softball, plus she was smart. You knew that Lauren would have many colleges lining up for her.