Chapter Five

Illustration by Karlie

"Doctor, where exactly are we headed?" Lucy asked.

"To the TARDIS, dear, where else?" he replied.

Lucy smiled and continued to stumble down the trail.  "Ah!" Lucy cried as she tripped and fell over a root.  "Ow," she moaned, rubbing injured arm from the ship crash.

"Are you alright?" the Doctor asked frantically.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine, Doctor," Lucy said as she slowly stood up. 

"Not much farther now," the Doctor said reasurringly.

"The Doctor boosted them up into the ship and stopped dead at the sight of the TARDIS.  The outside was mostly intact, though one of the windows was cracked and the paint was chipping, so that wasn't unusual.  However, one of the doors was open and inside could be seen smoke billowing from, well, everything.

"No!  No, no no!" the Doctor cried as he ran into the TARDIS.

"Doctor!" Lucy shouted after him, but it was too late.  She shook her head and ran after him, pulling her shirt up around the bottom half of her face.

"Hurry, Lucy, get out of here!" the Doctor shouted.  She ignored him and grabbed the wrench sitting on the console.  She ran down the steps to where she predicted was the engine.  She pried away the door and looked at the wires and bolts.  She immediately began hooking wires together and tightening bolts.  The Doctor was furiously trying to fan out the smoke.  Lucy attached the last wires and out the cover back on.

The Doctor was frantically looking for Lucy.  "Lucy!  Lucy, where are you?"  Suddenly, the smoke stopped.  The Doctor fanned it out of the TARDIS and started to look for her.  Lucy came up the steps, her blonde ponytail starting to fall out and he shirt and face stained with grease.

"Oh, Lucy!  You beautiful girl, you!"  She leaned into him and hugged him.  They hugged for awhile, both glad to be safe and sound.

"Where are we going to get food, Doctor?" Lucy asked, her voice muffled by his shirt.  He released her.

"Well, that's a good question.  We can't really use the TARDIS, she needs to rest."

"Right..." Lucy said.  "Maybe there's food on the island."

"Right, right, trees, plants, fruit, etc.," the Doctor rambled.

Lucy lowered herself over the side of the ship, despite the dull pain in her arm.  The Doctor followed close behind.

The sun was beginning to sink into the ocean by then.  Lucy figured the day had only lasted so long because they had been traveling with the sun and time zones or whatever.  Whatever the case, it had been a long day and she was exhausted.

The Doctor and Lucy managed to find a fruit tree that held coconuts and brought about five of them back to the Hollow.

Night arrangements were cramped.  There were little cubbies dug out in the walls for each of the Lost Boys, each filled with a strange collection of leaves and feathers for comfort.  Peter had the largest one, his filled with similar things.  The only difference in his bunk, besides size, was a faded dream catcher that hung from the wall.

There was talk of returning to the Jolly Roger to get supplies, and even to sleep, but the risk of unknown adversaries attacking was too great and as far as getting blankets for the newcomers, everyone was just too exhausted.

Jane and Lucy curled up in opposite corners and tried to sleep.  To Lucy's delight, the Doctor laid down about a foot to the left of her, which may have seemed like an invasion of privacy, but the Hollow really was miniscule. 

Following the Doctor's move, Jane looked up to Killian with poorly-disguised hope in her eyes.  Everything about Killian appeared as though he wanted to do the same as the Doctor had, but apparently some part of him was stronger and he ended up sleeping by the stairs, his hand on his sword.

Jane shifted a bit, trying not to look disappointed, and closed her eyes.  But Killian didn't miss the way her eyes fell on Peter's sleeping form before she fell asleep.

A/N: Kane = Killian + Jane