Chapter 2

I walked upstairs, nervous to talk to Josh. He was sitting on the bed, scrolling on his phone.

"How was that?" He asked, not looking up.

"It was...okay." I said, staying a distance away from him.

"That's good." He tossed his phone back on the bed, then walked past me out of the room.

What? That's it? It couldn't be...

"Yeah." I continued on, following him downstairs.

"Yep." He replied, collapsing onto the couch and switching channels.

"So...how are you?" I asked awkwardly.

"Good good." He nodded. He still hadn't looked at me once.

I took a seat on the end of the couch at his feet, hoping he might wrap an arm over me, but he didn't. Was I to blame for this? How could I be? I didn't choose for Nick to call me.

"Josh." I whispered.

"Yeah?" He continued watching TV.

"Are you okay?" I took a leap of faith.

"Yes." He said.

I got onto my knees and crawled over to where his head was resting, forcing eye contact.

He finally looked at me, a slightly unsure expression on his face.

I slowly leaned in, wondering if he would do the same. He didn't, so I pulled away.

"Okay, fine," Josh gave up, "maybe I am a little bothered by all of this. I know I shouldn't be, but it just takes me back."

"I know, it takes me back too, but I'm not as stupid as I was. I'm not going to fall into the arms of Nick when I have someone like you as my husband." I whispered, brushing the hair out of his face.

"Someone like me? Who is this bastard?" Josh smiled, and I let out a laugh.

"Oh, he's real cute, you'd like him." I leaned in a little.

"Oh really? And what else?" Josh smirked.

"He's funny..sweet, caring, smart and a great kisser." I whispered.

"Must be hard to keep your hands off of him." Josh grinned.

"Oh, totally, although I'm pretty sure he's gay." I smiled, making Josh's face fall.

"What? No! Oh come on Jen, don't ruin the moment." Josh rolled his eyes, and I laughed.

Josh shook his head and laughed before pulling me closer and kissing me.

*

My eyes were heavy as I rested my head on Josh's chest. His arm encircled my waist, holding me close. I felt myself drifting to sleep, hearing the TV. But Josh's voice interrupted me.

"Jen." He whispered.

I looked up at him.

"What?" I yawned.

"What do you think would have happened if...if Claudia had my baby?" He asked.

"Why?" I raised an eyebrow. This was completely random.

"Because I was just thinking before, and do you think we'd be here if that happened?" Josh looked genuinely unsure.

"I'm not sure...it's hard to say. I just never really thought it could be yours...right?" I bit my lip.

"What? We did have-"

"Okay. I just didn't know if it was around that time she found out." I cut in, not wanting to hear any more.