Chapter Forty-Five

l-o-w-e-l-l

Chastity makes the wise decision to drive herself to the ice rink, just in case my car freaks out again or she has to leave early for work. My car is completely repaired driving-wise, but the speakers mysteriously stopped working when I picked it up from the shop. I must admit, I'm a bit lonely on the trip there without any music or anyone to talk to. It's all worth it when I get to see Chastity, though.

I walk in the doors and recognize her from behind, her blonde waves instantly identifiable. She's retrieving her skates from the counter.

I'm approaching the counter myself as she turns, blade-bottomed shoes in hand. She looks stunning. Legwarmers, leggings, turtleneck, puffer vest, beanie all tying together perfectly for the occasion. Perhaps the best part is that she isn't wearing a hint of makeup, not that I can tell, at least. She looks great with it, but better without.

The first thing she says is, "Sorry I didn't have time to put on makeup or anything."

"You look brilliant without it." I punctuate the statement with a kiss on her cheek. "And might I add that you look smashing in a beanie."

"I'll keep that in mind," she smiles, all teeth and soft lips. Then orders, "Now get your skates, everyone else is already out on the ice."

"I was planning on just going out in my socks, thanks."

She sits down on the bench closest to me to kick off her converse and lace up her skates. "Good luck with that."

"I've actually never been ice skating before, but I'd warrant it's the same principle as rollerblading. Have you been before?" I say after I request the proper sized skates from the girl behind the counter and hand her my payment for renting them.

"Yeah, I've taken lessons." She pulls the laces of her left skate taught before tying the perfect knot.

"You neglected to mention that when we were discussing past sports endeavors the other day."

Chastity moves to her right skate, securing it just as quickly and efficiently as the first. "Must've slipped my mind."

I receive my skates and sit down beside her. "You tie right, I'll get left? For the sake of time, of course."

"Of course," she says, her smile nearing a smirk at this point. Needless to say, my right skate winds up much more sufficiently tied than my left.

We both bring our heads upwards at the same time, resulting in a collision of our foreheads. Instead of immediately jerking away from each other and apologizing profusely for the incident like any normal people would, we find ourselves locked in a kiss.

It's a graceless and inelegant kiss, being poised at such awkward angles, but the softness of her lips on mine and the connection between us makes it meaningful. She pulls away sooner than I would have liked, but our friends are waiting for us and the girl behind the counter is not-so-discreetly watching us.

Chastity stands with ease, the same cannot be said for me. I find it difficult to retain my balance and have to grasp onto the lockers behind me in order to right myself. Chastity takes my hand and we head for the door that leads to the rink. I have to take small, measured steps in order to not go tumbling to the ground, taking out Chas with me. We step through the doors and are hit by a drastic change in temperature. If I'm struggling this much on solid ground, how dreadful is it going to be once I'm out on the ice?

The answer to this question presents itself rather quickly, for as soon as my skates make contact with the ice, I fall right on my arse.

Chastity, who is upright since I insisted that she could let go of my hand, stands over me, glove clad hand covering her mouth. As I struggle to stand I tell her, "It's rude to laugh at others suffering, you know."

"Well pardon me, then," she says in mock defense.

Once I'm reasonable stable-only because I'm holding on to the wall for support-I spot Aaron, his twin sisters, Lily and Gina, Carter, and Quincy. They're on the opposite side of the rink. Aaron is weighed down by the twins, each ensnaring one of his hands. Quincy is using Carter's arm to keep herself steady, using him as a form of life support. At least I'm not the only one.

Chastity offers me her hand and I accept it begrudgingly. I'd much rather wait here for them to circle around to us, but I have to start somewhere. Chastity glides gracefully alongside me as I do everything in my power not to fall yet again.

We manage to catch up to them. Chastity waves cheerfully, I would do the same if it wouldn't throw off my balance.

"Look who finally made it on the ice," Aaron says. "What took you so long? Did you get distracted?"

I'm about to say something vulgar, but I stop refrain since his little sisters are present. Instead, I say, "Shove off, all that happened was I discovered that I have no balance and am rubbish at ice skating."

Quincy points at herself and says, "Okay, me."

"Maybe Chastity and I should go off on our own and abandon you slowpokes," Carter jokes.

"Do you want us to break ourselves?" I ask.

Aaron comments, "The lacrosse team can find another goalie."

Lily and Gina start yanking on Aaron to go faster and I'm able to flip him off surreptitiously.

Even after several laps around the rink, Quincy and I are not improving. I offer to Chastity, "Why don't you go on ahead, I don't want to hold you back. Besides, I don't mind getting acquainted with the wall."

"You sure?"

"I'll be fine."

She takes off and I'm left to shuffle along the wall. It doesn't help that I'm distracted by her dexterity on the ice. She makes it look so easy, gliding effortlessly, throwing in little turns and flourishes here and there. I wish I was more proficient at skating than I am, so that I could at least keep up a little.

We skate for close to 2 hours. By the end Lily and Gina have gotten good enough to let go of Aaron and skate hand in hand, Quincy has graduated to holding Carter's hand as opposed to clutching his arm, and I am not as dependent on the wall and/or Chastity as I was when I started. I only fell eight times. Only.

I walk Chastity out to her car. I say, "I think we can agree that I should stick to bowling and you to ice skating."

She laughs. "Very true."

* * * * *

thanks for reading :))