Prologue

Sharp, pungent smells wafted off of every rock and bush as the tom strode down into the hollow, marking unknown territory that most certainly did not belong to him. His footsteps were quick and silent on the scraggly grasses. Branches tugged at the long fibers of his pelt, though he did not stop to fix the tangled twigs, simply pushing on until the brush gave away. Ahead, the trees filtered out into the clearing, and moonlight crept down onto the forest floor, illuminating all that it touched with cold, slender fingers.

The tom halted at the edge of the light, only a silver paw hesitating over the earth of the clearing. His tail flicked back and forth like an adder in the thick blanket of shadow, his eyes dull in the half light. After a moment or two of waiting, decision making, he stepped fully into the lit area, his gray pelt giving off an eerie sheen in the typical fashion of the night.

Wild blueberries tangled throughout the bracken and undergrowth, their fruit still green and unripened. Briers intertwined with the leafy bushes, catching on creepers that twirled around the necks of aspens and maples. The moonlight lit up everything in a silhouette of blacks browns and greens, save for the silver tom, who stood out like a swan on the water. The clearing itself was an oddity, with smooth, soft soil free of most pebbles and a clear overhead view of the waxing moon, nearly full. There would be a Peace Day soon, and it was his clan's turn to host.

His calm facade was only interrupted by the thin veil of fear scent that surrounded him like a constant aura. No crickets hummed in the distance, and only a few cicadas buzzed ominously, uncharacteristically quiet for such a night. It was as if the entire forest was holding its breath as one, frightened creature.

The tom sat, laying his tail over his paws, mainly to block the sight of unsheathed claws that dug feverishly into the soft dirt, not yet hardened with the frost-bitten air. He felt the fur on his scruff rising, an unintentional reflex due to the chill and the impending danger.

"I know you're there. Even the smallest kit knows the scent of your kind," the tom called out, his voice carrying evenly through the crisp air.

After a moment, the snapping of twigs could be heard, then a large, swift shape shuffling through the shrubbery. Hackles raising, the tom narrowed his eyes at every flash of color, the slightest movement. He stood his ground, however, though he was starting to believe his motives to be more pointless by the second. And then from behind him, a barking laughter sounded in his ear. He crinkled his nose at the horrid smell that filled his senses like a rush of stale, festering water pushing through his nostrils and throat.

"I'm not impressed, Silverkit," the voice hissed, accented sharply with the tongue of the northern Tribes, and most definitely female. "I could have had your pelt draped over my shoulders by now. Curiosity killed the cat, however, it seems to be my curiosity keeping you alive, hm? What a turn of events." The voice paused to lick its chops, a loud, gloating smack that sent a chill down the tom's spine. "So what is it that ties you here, Silverstar? Am I really that interesting?"

"You know why I'm here," Silverstar replied simply, forcing his fur to lie flat on his back. "You know perfectly well why I'm here." His voice grew quiet, as if it took all his effort to keep his air of icy calm.

"Oh, the little furballs from the river? Why, they had to be punished. No kits outside camp, isn't that right?" Humor edged the female's voice, sly and nearly innocent-sounding.

Silverstar leaped back to glare at the faceless voice, though only shape and shadow met his furious gaze. "You piece of-"

"Fox-dung?" The shape suggested, strolling out of the brush gracefully, paws seeming to only brush the earth as she walked. "Ooh, or fox-heart? Maybe fox-brained?" The dog-like creature was now clearly illuminated, red fur almost ethereal in the night. Raising her chin defiantly, the vixen copied the cold hatred that lit up Silverstar's eyes. "Probably the latter. Only a cat would be stupid enough to come alone to face my kind. Do not test me, old one. Your tongue may be sharp, but your senses are dull. It is only a matter of time before even the mice will be able to outwit you."

Claws extended fully, Silverstar growled a warning. "Those kits were not a meal for your worthless tribe, Odi! You will pay, the lot of you," he promised, voice ominous.

"Wrong again!" Odi singsonged, flicking her tail. She barked another laugh, menace tainting the very sound. "You threatened my family; it is you that will pay." And with that, she pounced.