Chapter Two

Author's Note:

I just wanted to thank all of you guys for voting and commenting! It means a lot to me, and honestly just makes me want to write even more! You'd be surprised by how empowering one little button is. I haven't been feeling all that creative in the last week; sorry for the late update! Anyways, I hope you enjoy the chapter, however short it is.

Also, if you were looking for something to do, I'd check out Destiny_Warriors new writing contest, 25 Days, 25 Chapters.

~-~

"And then that mangy hunk of fur went skittering out of there - you should have seen it! His steps were as long as badgers! You would have gotten a kick out of that, Willowkit!"

Doekit muttered something inaudible to the others. Once Russetpelt had allowed visitors, the whole clan seemed to want to be by Willowkit's side, always offering up stories, games, and the softest feathers for her nest. She was coddled and fed and checked on consistently, and breaks in between were far from long. The little she-kit was enveloped in the love of her entire clan.

To be perfectly honest, it had gotten rather annoying rather fast.

Though Doekit was always present for the stories and there for the games, the attention was all on sickly Willowkit. She hated every second of it.

Willowkit didn't seem to mind all the visitors, though she did look a little cramped at times.

Cramped indeed. It had already been two full days, and the bi-colored she-cat was still camped out in the nursery. That meant no exploration, no adventures, and certainly no fun. But, worst of all, Willowkit wasn't the only cramped one.

Just last night, Brackenwing had brought four kits into the world. Three toms and a she-cat. Doekit had decided that her apprentice ceremony couldn't come any sooner.

As of now, Doekit was stretched out by her sister, listening with detached interest as Creampatch wove an intricate story about some old leader that rode on the backs of hawks. Ironically named Earthstar, the old tom was said to have never left the sky, and even spoke to the birds that flew him. He and his army were tasked with chasing out a whole clan of fisher cats that had taken up space along the largest river in the moor.

Doekit had to hold her tongue, lest she call out some words she wasn't supposed to know.

Willowkit seemed to be enjoying the senior warrior's ramblings, however, and all hell would break loose if Doekit even coughed in a negative way. So she busied herself in studying the wall of herbs on the far side of the cave.

The north wall of camp was one big cliff, marking the start of where the territory became rocky and mountainous. At some point, many seasons ago, a powerful river had rampaged through the rock, cutting away what was now the Medicine Den. Only a small pool of water remained, used for drinking, soaking moss, and on rare occasions, entire cats. Doekit had never seen it herself; Russetpelt had told a few stories as well.

Dish-like shelves stored berries and leaves, dried and fresh, both fragrant and sour-smelling. Maybe one of Brackenwing's kits would become a medicine cat. It was hard to say, especially since they had been born not even a full day ago. As far as Doekit knew, they didn't even have names. Brackenwing was still exhausted, rightly so.

Stretching, Doekit stood, ignoring Creampatch as she made her way outside. The full force of Greenleaf hit her face as soon as she stepped into the afternoon sun. To her left, mouth-watering scents wafted from the fresh kill pile, smelling of rabbit and some sort of bird - wren, maybe. Doekit did her best to push away the thought of food. She had already eaten that morning, and she didn't want to spoil her appetite for dinner. A small voice in her head argued that if breakfast was already a fading memory, a small snack would hardly make an impact. Swaying uncertainly on her paws, Doekit decided that the best option would be to get as far away from the food as possible.

Her paw-steps were quick and short as she padded down from the higher side of camp, steering for the river near the apprentices' den. One couldn't really call it a river, however. It was more of a brook, really, and no water could be found flowing through it. The stream dried up every Greenleaf and froze throughout late Leaf-fall and Leaf-bare, but it made a perfect spot for the younger cats to play mossball and talk about the events of the day. Right now, water still coursed through it, chilled from the mountains. It made her shiver just thinking about it. If she was lucky, Doekit would catch Lilypaw. Even Sandpaw would do, but Rosepaw had never really liked the younger generation. There was nothing wrong with the red tabby, but Doekit had learned at an early age to steer clear of her for now; at least until mid-apprenticeship.

Doekit's chest tightened at what she saw. Sandpaw and Rosepaw were sitting just a little too close, laughing their ears off about something that was probably only funny to one of the two.

Doekit hadn't realized that she had stopped moving, and quickly darted into a conveniently placed patch of grass, narrowing her eyes at the two. It had been no doubt in her mind that Rosepaw had at least mild feelings for the young tom, but hope had probably blinded her to the extent of which their 'relationship' had gone.

It may have seemed to an onlooker that it was Doekit who had the crush. But, it was Willowkit who claimed to be madly in love with Sandpaw. Doekit didn't get the fascination. Ever since Brackenwing and Grasstail had been named a couple, Doekit guessed that her sister had just thought that was what you were supposed to do. Sandpaw was the only tom close to their age at the time, thus he had been the target for Willowkit's admiration.

Doekit still didn't understand.

But, it was her job to protect her sister, (being born twenty-eight seconds prior has that effect) so she would do her best to keep her fragile emotions as safe as she could.

Doekit crouched down, a plan already formulating itself in the more devious part of her brain. In times like these, she had to let the 'Evil Twin' side come out. It proved to work the best in almost all situations. She took a deep, steady breath, and then she padded forward.

The only problem with the camp was that it was typically free of rough stones that Doekit could have used to her advantage. Twigs jutting out of the ground, faults in the earth, even just rough soil would have been nice every once in a while. It was hard to convince herself to go through with it. Her plan did involve plenty of humiliation. Oh, how her reputation would falter. At least se might get out of the nursery for a while.

"Hey, Sandpaw, Rosepaw!" Doekit called, attracting the attention of both apprentices, who turned around much faster than what should have been possible.

"Oh, h-hey, Doekit," Sandpaw replied. Rosepaw simply acknowledged her with a tip of her head.

Here goes nothing, Doekit thought blandly, making sure to land awkwardly on her left paw. With a squeak of faked surprise, the she-kit pitched forward, eyes squeezed shut in preparation for the freezing water below her.