Chapter Nine: A Little More Than Enemies

Ghirahim had kept a close eye on the hero ever since he broke down in the dungeon. He had convinced himself that secretly following the boy around was just to hinder Link's progress if he got too far, but now it was bordering on the line of obsession. He was sure Link knew that he was following in the shadows; he hadn't been too obvious about it. But whenever the boy's fire would die down in the middle of the night, there was always someone there to get it flickering back into existence. Needless to say, the demon hadn't really been making any progress of his own. 

---

"Y'know Fi, when I finally got through Eldin, I was really looking forward to traveling to a cooler place, not a desert," Link grumpily explained.

"I'm sorry Master Link, but this is where Zelda traveled next," Fi replied. "And we should get to her before Ghirahim does."

The hero grew silent at the name of his foe, and continued to travel alongside his companion in an awkward quiet.

"I'm sorry Master. I forgot he had such an impact on you still," the sword spirit apologized.

Link didn't reply for a few long moments.

"He could've killed me last week, but he didn't. I don't understand why. He's made it pretty clear that he wants me dead," he admitted.

"It could be because Ghirahim believes in a fair fight, and the disability you have when fighting him is anything but fair. However," Fi paused for a minute, "I believe there is a greater chance Lord Ghirahim has developed a soft spot for you."

Link snorted. "That's a good one, Fi."

"Master, you and I both know that I am not capable of making a joke," she chimed.

"All I'm saying is that maybe your calculations are wrong this time," Link explained.

"I've never been inaccurate before, and there's less than a one percent chance that I'm incorrect now," Fi seriously stated.

"I never knew there were cliffs in deserts," Link said, not so smoothly changing the subject.

"There's many different landforms in deserts, cliffs and overhangs just being one example. And while we are traveling on a cliff, I advise you to watch your step," Fi warned.

"You really have no faith in me Fi, I'm not going to fall off the cliff," he teased while glancing back at Fi as she floated behind him.

And in the instant that Link glanced back at his companion, his foot landed on a loose rock that sent him tumbling over the edge.

"I told you," Fi muttered under her breath.

---

Link's eyes were squeezed shut tightly as the nauseating sensation of free fall overcame him. His fingers frantically fumbled with his adventure pouch's latch, trying to get his sailcloth out in time. Link's desperate attempt suddenly halted as he felt something warm embrace him and his fall considerably decrease in speed. He slowly blinked open his eyes again.

"Fi?"

"Not quite, sorry to disappoint SkyChild," an all too familiar voice huffed out.

The hero went tense in the hold even after they had both safely landed.

"Okay, you can put me down now," Link muttered.