Chapter 1

I sat alone on the park bench wiping away the never ending tears that were streaming down my cheeks. I looked down at the scars and bruises that laced my forearms and cried harder. I guess I was crying a little too hard because suddenly I felt a hand resting on my back. I shot my head up and looked towards the direction of the hand and was greeted by a boy wearing glasses that sat towards the tip of his nose giving me a small smile but concern was still apparent on his face.

"Um, I was walking when I heard you crying and wanted to make sure you were okay." He told me.

"Do I know you?" I snapped at him, sounding ruder than I wanted.

                He quickly took his hand back put it in his lap along with his other hand. "Uh, no, I don't believe so." He said looking down. "But still, I wanted to make sure you were okay..." He told me, now looking down at my arms.

I pulled my sleeves down and crossed my arms. "Well thanks for your concern, but I'm fine." I told him flashing a small insincere smile.

"Are you sure? I mean your arms...and your face..." his eyes widening as he looked me over.

"I said I'm fine, okay!" I snapped again, causing him to flinch this time.

"Alright." He said quietly as he quickly stood up and rushed away.

                I probably should have been nicer but I really could care less right now about how I was acting. I was just worried how I was going to move back in with my parents. I finally convinced my parents to let me move out and move in with my now ex boyfriend. Well, I actually didn't really convince them. I packed my stuff and left saying that there is nothing they can do to stop me, and they didn't. They just told me to never come back and now here I am, homeless and boyfriendless. I just couldn't handle the constant abuse anymore. I took a deep breath before standing up and beginning to walk back towards my parent's house.  I shivered as the cool winter wind blew against my face. I pulled my hoodie sleeves over my fists and threw my hoodie up and crossed my arms as I walked faster down the street. I was at the house within about 15 minutes. I went over in my head what I was going to say to them to convince them to let me back in as I walked up to the door. I rang the doorbell and waited for someone to answer. I turned around about to walk away when my mom swung open the door. I stood frozen, forgetting everything I planned on saying.

"Hello?" She asked unaware of whom I was yet.

                I took a small breath before turning around and saying "Hey mom" and putting on a fake smile.  Her mouth slightly dropped and her eyes widened and filled with tears. She pushed open the glass door that was between us and wrapped me in her arms.

"My baby!" she cried into me. I couldn't help but to wrap my arms back around her and just melt into her. I needed desperately to be held right now. I let out a loud sob holding onto her as tight as I could. She quickly pulled me into the house and led me to the couch in the living room.  I sat down and she sat next to me.

"James! Clara is home!" My mom shouted out to my dad who came rushing into the living room in seconds. When he saw me all the color drained from his face.

"Clara, my god. What happened?" He said coming to sit on the other side of me.

"Um, Pete and I broke up." I told him, my voice cracking as I was trying my hardest not to start crying again.

"Did he do this to you?" My dad asked concerned, with anger also hinted in his voice and putting his hand gently under my chin lifting my face. I guess he got me a lot worse than I thought. I still haven't seen my reflection since leaving.