Chapter Six

Xander merely grinned and pulled Daisy to her feet. ‘Come on, Fitzgerald. Let’s dance.’

Tonight...’ With her arms raised in honour of the zeitgeist classic remixed to a one-twenty bpm bass, Daisy couldn’t stop her grin. Okay, maybe it was the coke, maybe it was the cocktails, but dancing with Xander had become her new favourite thing in the whole world.

Than the sun...’ Xander sang back, his forehead resting against hers.

They were sweaty, grinning, loved up idiots. He was the best date – her glass never empty, be it vodka shots, cocktails or water, whatever she needed, he provided. Better still, he didn’t look at another girl the whole time – which was quite extraordinary considering the number of girls stalking him.

They were legion and would gaze longingly or pout angrily, causing Daisy to mentally divide them into Has-Beens, Maybes and Never-Will-Bes. Only the coke prevented her from wilting under the animosity each and every one exuded as they looked her over with the same disdain James had.

‘Alexander, who is this?’ A pair of arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her back towards a tall male – another Saint Nick’s old boy by the sound of him. ‘Can I play with her?’

Xander shook his head, smiling and the arms dropped away. Aside from James, it was the only time that evening Xander appeared pleased to see someone. ‘This is Marcus, James’ brother. Daisy’s my new best friend.’

‘She can be mine.’ Marcus blatantly eyed her up.

Laughing, Daisy returned the favour. Clearly, he’d fallen out of the same Abercrombie and Fitch advert as Xander – his snug white shirt contrasted perfectly with his mocha-brown skin and Disaronno-brown eyes. He was every bit as beautiful as his siblings, but they were Greek; he was black. How was he James and India’s brother?

Marcus laughed. ‘I’m their half-brother, different mothers. Don’t ask.’

Daisy’s cheeks burned, but Marcus’ attention had already switched to a pair of matching blondes in red dresses.

Ciao, bella,’ he said, before putting a hand on Xander’s shoulder. ‘James is looking for you. He’s gone to the boathouse, bored.’

As Marcus bee-lined for the girls in red, Xander tipped his head, signalling an abrupt end to Daisy’s dancing.

‘It’s his party. We’d better go.’

Daisy tried valiantly not to sulk as they dawdled across the lawn, holding hands and sharing a cigarette. ‘How can James be bored? The music is beyond fabulous.’

‘He hates parties.’

It was looking ever-more likely that she and James wouldn’t be terribly good friends.

The boathouse, overhanging the edge of the lake, had been converted into a des-res – open plan with acres of glass, smooth oak and shiny steel, its impeccable, contemporary styling screamed of overpriced architects and interior designers.

‘Bit of a step up from your cottage,’ Daisy said, running her hand along a smooth slate handrail running along the edge of the deck.

‘Just a bit.’ Xander smiled. ‘He has an Xbox.’

There was a smaller, more exclusive party going on with dozens of people milling around, most out on the floating deck. Daisy spotted several actors from Coronation Street, two footballers and the lead singer of a boy band but, sadly, no India.

On an ancient leather chesterfield, James and Tabitha sat shoulder to shoulder as he cut up yet more coke. Smiling like a pussy cat, Tabitha patted the sofa, inviting Daisy to join her. One day, she might give Tabitha a second chance, but it wouldn't be that night. Instead, Daisy offered a half-hearted smile and glanced around, looking for a distraction. Next to them was a huge pile of still wrapped gifts.