chapter five .dîner et danse.

-+- dinner & dance -+-

Falling into despair,

We were both lost in our own beasts.

We were helpless, thinking

How could anyone ever love

Broken souls like ours?

Facing a fear seemed like facing your death. But worse than that was the woman who stood in front me.

"Belle, I picked this one and this one. Which one is it going to be?" My mother, who was intent on making my date night perfect, stood like Queen Nerferiti, a few inches taller than me and full of attitude.

It was the night I agreed to go out with Adam to a dinner and dance he had planned. As soon as I got home and set my notepad on the table, my mother couldn't help but pry through my conversation with Adam. From "It's because I believe in you Adam" to "I'd call it a date," she went ballistic and dragged me to my room. It wasn't long before it became a mess. It was as if a hurricane had swept through it and things were everywhere. Simply put, that was my mother when she was on her feet.

That one.

My mother glared at me. "How am I supposed to know which one you chose?"

Because you know which one I'd wear.

"Fine." Pulling a dress off of a hanger, she laid the dress out onto the bed. It was a pale yellow dress that was of aesthetic quality and a daring creation. Deep pleats pinned up to one side of my hip while the rest of the gown evenly fell right to my knees. With a simply woven set of wedges, I was all set and ready for the night.

I walked down the stairs and sat in a couch. Gazing over our family pictures, the clock ticked by. Every second felt like a minute and I impatiently tapped my foot. A recursion of thoughts ran through my mind like on a treadmill. What if he forgot? What if this was a game he was playing? What if, above all, something had happened to him?

I was never prepared to fall in love with Adam and seeing him stand at the doorway as my mother had opened the door. My heart stopped and time froze. I stumbled to stand on my own two feet, but he was standing right next to me. We communicated with emotions and a language spoken with our eyes.

His appearance was no match to mine. A dark navy blue blazer contrasted with his white button up shirt that was fit to his build. His brown shoes moved around as he stood uncomfortably, almost shy. A sly smile crept onto my face realizing the effect I had on him. I took his elbow and waved at my mother.