Chapter 9: Big Surprises

Edited 1/15/2016

Ron, Hermione, and Harry becoming friends was great, Hermione was happier, Ron argued with her less, and I could hang out with the three of them at the same time if I wanted. Unfortunately, not everything after Halloween was great.

Tensions were rising between the Gryffindors and Slytherins. People from those two houses were more likely to be hexed from behind or caught dueling than anyone else; Snape was becoming unbearable. He was docking points left and right and giving out detentions to the Gryffindors for the smallest things. It was especially bad the Friday before the Gryffindor/Slytherin Quidditch match.

"So," I said, walking up to Draco, "Neville said you wanted to speak to me?"

"Yes," Draco said with his signature smirk, "Do you remember our little wager? Well, I'd like to use the little favor you owe me."

"Alright," I sighed, "but, I should let you know right off the bat, I'm not going to do just anything. It has to be within reason, y'know?"

"Of course," Draco nodded, "I wouldn't ask you to do anything harmful or embarrassing. I just need you to get something from Peeves. He stole it from me, and I want it back."

"What is it?" I asked, crossing my arms, "And why don't you ask the Bloody Baron to get it back? Or Crabbe and Goyle?"

"You'll know it when you see it," Draco assured me, "It is the only thing on his person as of this moment. Even though he is my House's ghost, the Bloody Baron is quite," Draco paused for a moment, "Intimidating, and I'd rather talk with him as little as possible; Crabbe and Goyle are too stupid to get it back. You, on the other hand, are clever. You could easily think of a way to get it back."

Wait!
I thought, Did Draco Malfoy just compliment me? Is he sick?

"Unless, I'm wrong," Draco added, "And you're as stupid as you look." Nope. He's fine. "So, will you help?"

I thought about it for a moment. Getting something back from Peeves shouldn't be too hard, and Draco did seem like he sincerely needed my help.

"You wouldn't want to go against your word, would you?" Draco urged. He had a point; there wasn't anything wrong with his request, so why couldn't I help?

"Alright," I sighed, "I'll help you. Do you have any idea where Peeves is?"

"Last I heard, he was flying about near Snape's office," Draco shrugged, "You should know where that is by now, what with you getting so many detentions and all."

"I've only gotten two," I groaned, "And could say 'thank you', you know."

"You're right, and I do thank you."

"Good," I nodded, turning to head to my designated retrieval sight. Draco began to laugh, and I turned around to see what was so funny. He wasn't near anyone or anything amusing, so it must have been some thought of his.

Shrugging, I continued my search for Peeves.

***
"Hey, Peeves!" I called, spotting the transparent trickster tossing a thin object up in the air and catching it.

"Yes, teeny one?" Peeves asked, not taking his eyes away from what looked like a wand. How did Draco get his
wand stolen by Peeves?
I wondered.

"That wand," I said, pointing to the wand, "Did you take it from Draco Malfoy?"

"Peeves-y might've done such a thing," Peeves snickered, "Why would it concern the Gryffindor Malfoy?"

"He wants it back, so he asked me to get it from you," I explained, deciding to try the easiest way to get it back first,
"Could you give it to me?"