Chapter Twenty-One: Options.

"I'm going to class."

"No, you're not.  You're going home."

"I'm not missing any more school over this!"  I glared at Ben, hands fisted on my hips.  We'd been arguing for the past five minutes, after Ben's brother had taken my statement and left, and it was beginning to grate on my nerves.  "I'm going to class."

"Elizabeth, you weren't even coherent an hour ago."

Growling low in my throat, I turned to face Mr. Avery.  "Tell him.  I have to go to class."

With an uncomfortable grimace, the principal raised lifted his hands, palm up, and shrugged.  "Maybe it would be best if you went home and got some rest."

"No."  My fists clenched even tighter and I could feel my nails digging into my palms.  "I'm going to class.  I'm going to act like everything is normal.  I'm not going to let whoever did this see me as a weakling.  Not anymore."

"Elizabeth..."  Ben sighed my name.  "This isn't the time to show everybody how strong you are.  You'll only end up hurting yourself."

I snorted.  "Oh, come off it.  I'm not sick or injured, so don't treat me like an invalid.  Going to class isn't going to put me into shock."

Ben stared at me silently for several moments, before letting his eyes slide over to Mr. Kalebrow.  "Fine.  You can go to class.  But he goes with you."

"What?!  No!"  Take my bodyguard to class?  Was he nuts?  "Do you know how distracting that would be for the other students?"

"You either take him with you to class, or I will carry you out of this school over my shoulder.  Those are your options.  Pick one."

"You listen to me, Benjamin Gallag-  BEN, NO!"  I screeched, barely managing to dodge Ben's suddenly outstretched hands.  "You are not carrying me from this school and Noah is not coming to class with me."

"If he doesn't, I'll carry you out."  Mr. Kalebrow suddenly spoke up and I whipped my head towards him.  "This is about your safety, kiddo."

"But I-"

"Nope.  You get me or an embarrassing trip out of the school.  Choose."

"I..."  Neither option sounded particularly appealing, but if I had to choose the lesser of two evils...  "Fine.  I hope you die of boredom, sitting through my classes."

"You're awful, Eliza, do you know that?  Here I am, protecting you, and this is how you treat me."  Mr. Kalebrow shifted easily into humor, now that he'd gotten his way.  I suspected he was also trying to lighten some of the tension lingering in the office.  

"You're getting paid to protect me, Kalebrow."

"You know what?  That is very true.  Come on, let's go put you in some danger.  I can save you and get a bonus or something."  He got behind me and, dropping his hands on my shoulders, began steering me from the room.  "See you later, teachers."

"Hey, wait!  Let me- Ben!"  The door slammed behind us as I was pushed from the office, protesting all the way.  I whirled around to glare at Mr. Kalebrow.  "You ass."

He rolled his eyes at me and grabbed my arm.  "You can kiss and make up with your boyfriend later.  Now, show me where your first class is."

Huffing out an exasperated breath, I pulled my phone from my pocket and checked the time.  We were fifteen minutes into first period, which meant my first class was with Ben.  "Chemistry.  It, and all of my other classes, are in the next hall over."