t h r e e

Joey

My alarm went off before I knew it. After rolling out of bed, I got myself ready for class and went across the hall to knock on Elle's door.

"I'm running late! Go without me!" Elle's voice yelled behind the closed door.

I silently cursed her out as I left the apartment. The walk wasn't too far, but by myself, it'd feel like forever.

There was barely any people on the sidewalk today which was blessing because people in Ninjago are idiots who like to stand in your way.

I heard a loud revving engine behind me and turned around to see a cool ass motorcycle coming up on the road. The motorcycle rode pass me and I watched in awe before it stopped a few feet away and reversed backwards. I took a step away from the curb. The motorcycle stopped right next to me, and the person took off their helmet.

Under the mound of helmet hair was a charmingly adorable smile from Jay.

"Good evening." Jay greeted.

A snort left my lips as a took a step closer to him. "It's noon."

"Debatable. You heading to school?"

I nodded.

"Great, hop on. I'll give you a ride." Jay smiled, holding his helmet out for me to take.

I looked him up and down before grabbing the helmet. I put on the skull protection and sat down behind Jay.

Getting on a bike with a stranger? Bad idea.

Getting on a bike with a cute stranger that I hit with a volleyball and then saved from getting his ass beat by my ex-boyfriend? Okay idea.

I pushed up the visor. "This bike is so cool, where'd you get it?"

"I made it." He calmly said.

"You made a bike? You say it like it's a normal thing."

"I like to make stuff. My dad is an inventor so tinkering became my hobby too. It's fun. What do you do for fun?" He turned his head to the side to look at me through his peripheral vision.

My mind blanked at the question.

"I...sleep." I nodded, yup, that's it.

Jay laughed at my response. "No, like real fun. Something you do that makes you happy."

"I work, practice, and go to school. I don't have time for fun." I said.

Fun didn't pay the bills or tuition.

Jay turned to face the road and revved up his bike. "Well, looks like we gotta change that." The bike started moving and I quickly pulled my legs up to rest on the little pegs and pushed down the visor on the helmet. I grabbed onto Jay's shoulders for support, grabbing his waist would be too intimate.

The ride to school was honestly refreshing. The nice breeze brushing against my skin as we rode and the speed of the bike was exhilarating. Walking everywhere everyday was exhausting, so this little break was nice. He pulled into the student parking lot.