eighteen.

Blinding, hot tears stung at my eyes as I struggled against the helplessness of the situation and fought against the metal that bound me here. It was useless. I knew it was useless, but tumultuous frustrated energy ripped through me and I tore against the cuffs until my wrists were rubbed raw and I was grinding my teeth together to bite back my tears.

I forced myself to calm down. I stilled, pressing against the railing. I slowed my shuddering breaths until I was no longer gasping for breath. I counted my heartbeats until its rapid tempo no longer thundered in my ears.

My head was far from clear, but I sifted through my thoughts to search for some sort of solution. Luring some drunk stranger down here was the last thing I wanted to do, so I decided to save yelling as a last resort.

My fingers fumbled against my back pocket. If I could just get to my cell phone, I might be able to call Ellie. My wrists twisted as far as my restraints would let them. As soon as I inched it out, it slipped from my fingers and flopped to the ground, bouncing down the last few steps.

I swore, rather loudly, but with the door shut and the music blasting through the house, I doubted anyone heard me.

I kicked the wall with my heel and muttered out cuss words through clenched teeth, careful not to drop the key that burned it's metallic taste into my tongue. I was one more piece of bad luck away from losing the battle against a siege of frustrated tears.

Why did I let Ellie talk me into going to this stupid party anyway?

And the absolute worst part of it all was that I had the key right here between my teeth, but it was virtually useless unless I could get it to my hands. I cursed Maverick one more time for good measure, and did just about one of the stupidest, most desperate things I could have done.

I had probably seen too many spy movies for my own good, but at this point I was ready to try just about anything. I took the key between my lips and tucked my chin as far back over my shoulder as it would go. I flexed my palms open, trying to get as much surface area as I could manage.

I only had one shot at this, but I was in AP Physics. I should be able to handle this, right?

On the count on three, I let the key slip past my lips and fall. It was much too dark to see, but I heard a dull clink as the key bounced off the railing and tumbled down the steps.

I cursed some more. I thrashed against the cuffs, knowing full well that it was a wasted effort. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep any tears from slipping out.

I wouldn't give Maverick the satisfaction.

I sucked in a breath, dreading the uncertainty about what I was about to do, and started yelling. I had certainly reached desperate measures.

"Ellie! El!" I prayed it was her who answered my call.

I waited a moment, head tilted up towards the door. A dim stip of light shined through it, but didn't grow. So I started yelling again.

Thirty six times I screamed her name before the door finally swung open. The figure standing in the yellow light was broad shouldered and easily over six foot.

Definitely not Ellie.

A halo of light cut through his blonde hair as he padded down the steps with heavy foot falls. His deep laughter floated down and his taunting voice soon followed. "A little tied up there, are we?"

Logan. Relief flooded through me as I recognized the voice, but not enough to relax my tensed muscles. I had only spoken to the guy twice in my life, and honestly, he seemed like a massive tool to me. I prayed his intentions with me was nothing beyond harmless flirting.