Chapter 5

"You have to keep your hands down! You look more like a cheerleader than a football player up there!"

I was sitting on the fence talking to Ray as he very awkwardly rode past on Bruce's horse Ringo.

For the last week I had been giving Ray a riding lesson every other day after our sports' practices. He was catching on faster than I thought he would although he still had a ways to go.

"You make it look too easy! Nobody ever wants to tell the truth about how bouncy it is!" He called out from the other side of the riding ring.

I almost doubled over laughing at how ridiculous he sounded trying to talk while he bounced around on Ringo's back.

Our friendship really started to take off after the first day I saw him at Seven Meadows. Now not only did we see each other Mondays and Thursdays for tutoring, but I also managed to see him every day that I was at work. Our tutoring sessions were going really well and Ray was making a lot of progress. But if I had to choose I would say I liked seeing him outside of school much better. When we were here we were able to talk and get to know each other more which usually meant we were laughing and having fun a lot more than we were in the library.

"Okay, I think I'm done for the day." He said as he walked Ringo to the center of the ring and prepared to dismount.

Once he had both feet on the ground some of his calm cool and collected confidence came back.

We walked to the barn together, laughing and talking the whole way, and then started to untack Ringo.

"Oh! Great! I'm glad I caught you guys." Bruce said as he and Theresa walked towards us. "We are about to head out to dinner. But I wanted to ask if you two could give Ringo a bath for me before you put him out in the field for the night?"

"Yeah no problem." We both said.

"You guys are awesome. Y'all can feed and lock everything up once you're done with Ringo and then you're good to go home Lou." He called over his shoulder as they made their exit

"Okay, thanks!" I said as Ray and I waved goodbye Bruce and Theresa.

"Let's give this guy a bath!" Ray said excitedly and I was surprised at how genuine he sounded.

"If you have other stuff to do you can go, I can handle everything by myself here."

"What could I possibly have to do that would be more fun than hanging out with you and Ringo here!?" He laughed.

"I don't know. It's Friday night. I just thought maybe you had plans with someone."

"Now that you mention it...I do have that hot date I should probably start getting ready for!"

A date? What? With who?

I tried really hard to not let myself look to curious or disappointed.

"Oh. Well I mean if you have to go then I can just finish up here. I figured you probably had plans you seem like a Friday night plans kind of guy. Plus it's your first month here you're probably hanging out with everyone trying to get to know them all. And it's totally fine if you wanna go I ca-"

"Do you always ramble like this?" Ray interrupted with a smile.

"Only when I'm nervous." I sighed and shook my head.