Chapter 17

Lady Adelina Argos

Iron City, Sarkin

As much as I didn't want to be paraded around in front of single men, I almost welcomed the distraction. I had heard Dominic was in the castle, though I hoped he wouldn't show his face, or if he did that I would be deep in conversation or a dance with an even more handsome man. I wanted to make him hurt. I wanted to make him suffer. I wanted him to see everything he gave up when he ran away with my former best friend. I was off to the side of the dancing crowd, occasionally glancing to see Felix dancing adorably with his daughter Jaymie. Never had a light signed brighter than that of the little girl. Everyone wished she could see the splendor of the even.

I glanced back at the few men and a woman who was near me, taking casually about the event. The woman, I had been told was Louisa Elliot, wife to Lucas Elliot of Blackwater, and she seemed less thrilled than I to be here. Her pale blue dress was clearly fitting for the title of a Lady, as was mine, though she seemed to pull of the gown much better than most of the Ladies in the room. She met my gaze, and I sent her a slightly shake of my head, letting her know that I didn't fancy the event, or even the men's conversation about whose ships were the fastest. She cracked a smile. I was older than her, possibly by a few years, but she didn't let that hinder her maturity. "How do you like Blackwater, Lady Louisa?" I asked, the men not even noticing.

"It has taken a bit of an adjustment, but I like it just fine. Thank you for asking, Lady Adelina." She returned. There was something slightly strange about her. Something I just couldn't place. Something that reminded me of myself, but then again, didn't.

"May I?" I heard a voice behind me, and glanced to the side to see a hand, offering a dance. It would be a distraction, and a way to pass the time if nothing else. I turned around, curious to see the potential partner, when I sucked in a sharp breath.

"This is a very risky move, Sir Benjamin." I stated flatly. "A knight of Emberhelm dancing with the future Lady of Emberhelm."

"It is a risk I am willing to take, My Lady." He nodded slightly, and I saw a flash of an amused smile. He was enjoying this. This awkwardness. I glanced around to see if anyone was watching, when I saw Louisa, who couldn't hide a smile. She shrugged, as if to say "go on."

I looked back at Benjamin, seeing his smile falter a bit. "Very well." I placed my hand in his, to see his smile return and I couldn't help but return the smile. We joined in on the next dance, and before long we were laughing along with the rest of the dancers, forgetting for just a while how much I hated him.

The dance ended and he bowed as I tried not to smile, realizing that the whole room had just seen me dance with the brother of the woman who had stolen the love of my life. His smile fell, as he led me from the dance floor. "Don't." He started to say, glancing away from me for a second before looking back at me. His blue eyes staring down at me intently. "Don't go back to hating me."

I cracked a smile. "You would be harder to hate if you didn't make such rude statements towards me."

"Shall I pay you a complement then?" He asked. "To make up for all of my rude behavior?" I nearly flinched at how easily he had said it. Was he flirting with me? He nodded, taking a step closer, though not enough to cause a scandal. "You look absolutely beautiful, Adelina." I stared up at him as I momentarily forgot to breath. That was some complement. He hadn't just said it. He meant it. He felt it.

"Thank you, Benjamin." I mumbled, feeling my cheeks turn a shade of red.

Suddenly the doors opened, and I was glad for the chance to look away from him. I tore my gaze away from his bright blue eyes and looked towards the door to see two people enter. I groaned, my anger heightening. They entered as if they belonged here. How dare they? I saw Dominic searching the room, and I knew he was looking for me. I looked away, down at my gloved hands, seeing them tremble. I balled them up, trying to stop them. Someone stepped in front of me, blocking my view of them, not that I cared to look upon them again. Genevieve had looked infuriatingly at ease by his side, and that had angered me more than anything had ever done in my entire life. I looked up, straight into the eyes of Benjamin. He looked down at me, knowing that he was blocking me from view. He was doing it on purpose. I could see it in the way he was looking at me. He reached out, taking my hands in his. "Breathe, Adelina." He said, as I glance down at his hands holding mind. "I won't let him near you, I promise. He won't hurt you ever again."