Chapter 4

Phil's internal clock woke him up at exactly 9 in the (A/N: afternoon... Sorry I had to do it.) morning, giving him only 6 hours of sleep. He wasn't complaining, though, seeing as he usually got 5 hours on a good night during the week. Plus, you can't really argue against waking up to the smell of pancakes.

"OH MY GOSH, YES!" he exclaimed before realizing he was still surrounded by his sleeping friends. They groggily began to sit up, Chris and PJ untangling themselves from each other and Dan shooting daggers at Phil.

"Jesus Christ on a bike, Phil. There better be a good reason for you waking us u-" "PAnCAkeS!!!!" Phil shouted before Dan could finish. Dan groaned, rolling his eyes and standing as Phil rushed out of the room and down the stairs towards the tantalizing scent.

"What a nerd." Dan whispered after him and followed. Chris and Peej shared a look before going after their friends.

Phil arrived in the kitchen to the sight of his mother making pancakes while listening to music. He stood there, salivating, until he heard his friends come up behind him.  Phil ran over to the kitchen table, grabbed a plate, and scurried back to load it with pancakes.

"He must have a strong affinity for pancakes." Dan muttered to PJ and Chris, "He actually ran."  The three boys burst out laughing, Phil looking over curiously before deciding pancakes were more important.

Phil began wolfing his pancakes down as the other boys sat at the kitchen table to eat with him. "My bloodstream is filled with maple syrup," he murmured with a far away look in his eyes and a pancake on its way to his mouth.

Before said pancake reached his mouth, a loud moan disturbed him from his pancake trance, making Chris, PJ, and Phil jump.  They turned to look at Dan with his eyes rolled back into his head, chewing slowly on a bite of pancake. 

"Oh my god Dan!" Phil laughed while Dan looked up, eyes wide.  "I did it again, didn't I?" Dan whispered.  "Does that happen a lot?" the three boys yelled.  "Kind of...?  Do you... Not do that when something taste really good?  Because that is regrettably my immediate reaction." Dan replied, giggling.  Phil tried to stop the sound from playing over in his head.

Before any other reaction could arise, a Muse song came on the station Mrs. Lester was playing. Dan and Phil whipped their heads to look at each other and began belting out the lyrics:

"I know you've suffered,
But I don't want you to hide.
It's cold and loveless,
I won't let you be denied.
Soothing
I'll make you feel pure
Trust me
You can be sure"

Chris and PJ shared another knowing look as Dan and Phil took a deep breath and began screaming the chorus:

"I WANT TO RECONCILE THE VIOLENCE IN YOUR HEART.
I WANT TO RECOGNIZE YOUR BEAUTY IS NOT JUST A MASK.
I WANT TO EXORCISE THE DEMONS FROM YOUR PAST.
I WANT TO SATISFY THE UNDISCLOSED DESIRES IN YOUR HEART."

The boys began laughing and resumed shoveling pancakes into their mouths. If Dan's face was flushed bright pink and Phil's blush was obviously staining his cheeks, they all pretended not to notice. And if the words seemed to oddly mirror their current situation, Dan and Phil pushed that far to the backs of their minds as well.

After breakfast, the four boys headed back upstairs to hang out some more. Dan and Phil were talking rapidly and giggling together, following after PJ and Chris who were occupying each other's time in much the same way. Upon entering Phil's room, Chris yelled, "Fantastic Foursome, UNITE!" "What did you just call us...?" PJ whispered, mortified, while Dan and Phil fell to the ground, rolling around with laughter.