Why Don't You Smile?

A/N: Happy readings!! aleen is bae

An exasperated groan escaped your lips as you set the pen down. You repeatedly shook your hand back and forth, attempting to rid of the numbness that had spread down your fingers into your wrist. Three hours of nonstop writing really made your entire arm ache. But you knew Levi had been going at it for days, and you wanted to help him. You stood up, releasing a sigh. His eyes flicked up towards you, asking a silent question.

"Want some tea?" You asked, a soft smile adorning your lips. He hummed in response with a slight nod, looking back to the papers in his grasp.

After a few minutes, two steaming cups of tea were in your hands. You sat one down in front of Levi, earning a small "Thank you" in return. You wrapped your fingers around the glass and brought it to your lips, sitting in the chair that was in front of his desk.

You sipped the delicious liquid, your eyes focused on your lovers features. His midnight locks draping over his forehead, his steely grey orbs focused on the stack of sheets, his thin eyebrows pulled together in concentration. But one thing caught your attention. His lips.

As usual, they were pressed together in a firm line, hinting no emotion whatsoever. Not that you expected anything more. Though, something triggered in your mind when you stared at his lips. You knew how they felt, softly brushing against your own in attempt to express all the emotions that words couldn't. You knew their shape, a gentle curve. You'd been with Levi for so long, and in all that time, you've never seen him smile. The simple gesture was a thought floating in the back of your mind, not as important as the rest of the tasks at hand. It would be nice to see one.

"Levi?" You finally spoke, setting your cup on the table. He hummed in response, keeping his gaze down on his papers. "Why don't you smile?" You asked, tilting your head to the side.

His eyes flicked up to yours, an irritated sigh escaping his lips. "Do I have to answer?" He mumbled, raising the brim of the cup to his lips.

"Yes." You replied, an innocent smile gracing your mouth.

He rolled his eyes. "I don't want to."

"That's a shitty excuse." You retorted, crossing your arms.

"Did you want a five-page answer, complete with my life story?" He said, giving you a halfhearted glare. You smiled and reached over, placing your hand atop his.

"Come on, tell me the real reason why." You said, giving his palm a light squeeze.

He heaved took a deep breath, looking down at the desk. "I have an ugly smile." He muttered.

A laugh bubbled in your throat and flew past your lips, earning another glare from Levi. "Is that all? You think you have an ugly smile?" You asked in between your fit of giggles.

He shifted in his seat and pulled his hand away, crossing his arms defiantly over his chest. "Yeah, maybe it is." He said, furrowing his brows.

You rolled your eyes, a broad grin etched onto your face. "That's impossible. When someone smiles, no matter what form, or if your teeth are large, small, crooked... People just look beautiful when they smile. Because we know that they are happy, and that's what truly matters."

He stared at you a bit longer, uncertainty glazing his eyes. Finally, the corner of his mouth twitched upwards and his lips parted. Your eyes widened as you caught sight his dazzling smile. He looked off to the side, almost embarrassed as it took over his usual stoic appearance. It was almost sarcastic, like he was smiling at some joke you had made. It was nevertheless gorgeous.

"Happy?" He asked, smile still gracing his lips.

You stood from your seat, and leaned over the table, pressing a light peck to his still smiling lips. "Yep." You responded, sitting back down. He rolled his eyes, smile disappearing almost as quickly as it came. "You should smile more often." You added.

"And why is that?" He asked.

"Because you have a beautiful smile."

He sighed and looked back down at his papers. "I'll only smile for you." He muttered.

You giggled. "Do it again." An irritated grunt sounded, though he gave you a closed-mouthed grin. You laughed again at the strange yet pleasing sight.