Chapter 10: Fresh is still a jerk

It had been a while since the two of them had gotten together, and not much had changed. Whenever they hung out, they would still tease each other or exchange the same old playful insults from before. Sometimes, they kissed, held hands, or cuddled together, but those times came sparingly. Mostly, they just talked.

"I'm just saying, brah, 'Cool Cat Saves the Kids' is a cinematic masterpiece. It definitely deserved an Oscar." Fresh remarked.

Error was sitting a few feet away from Fresh, knitting as he listened to the other drone on about ridiculous things. He rolled his eyes and chuckled to himself at Fresh's comment. "That movie was awful."

Fresh frowned. "Come on, man, it was great! It taught kiddos valuable life lessons and all."

Error scoffed. "Of course you'd like it, nerd."

Fresh laughed, lowering his glasses to give him a wink. "Don't be so harsh, bro. You know you love me."

The other just rolled his eyes and sighed as he continued to knit. Fresh said that a lot when they teased each other like this. He couldn't deny that it was true, but there was something about the certainty in Fresh's voice that always startled him. "...You seem pretty confident in that fact." He mumbled.

"Well, you were the one that kissed me, bro. Not the other way around." Fresh said with a smirk. "'Sides, I know how you feeling types work. I've been all up and inside more minds than I can count. You may act all mean and rude most of the time, but deep down...you know you really do care. So why not just admit it? We're already dating, it's really not a big deal." Fresh told him.

Error just continued to knit silently, ignoring him. He did care about Fresh. He cared about him way more than he should. Not that he would ever admit it to him, because-.

Fresh grinned widely. "It scares you, doesn't it?"

Error froze, looking over to him. "What do you mean?" He asked.

"That's why you won't admit it, dawg." Fresh's grin grew, almost sinister. "Because I'm a weakness for you. Because you know that I can leave at any time and never look back. Because you don't want to be left all alone again, just like-"

"Shut up." Error growled. His voice was low and his yellow eyes were narrowed at Fresh.

Fresh went quiet, surprised, then he laughed again, adjusting the hat on his head. "I got ya, didn't I? You're afraid to really care. You're afraid of betrayal. You're afraid of me all up and vanishing, yo. Just like every single person you've ever cared about... And the worst part is, you know that none of those worries bother me. Because I can't feel the same."

Error stiffened at that, glitching a bit as he continued to glare at Fresh.

"That must be torture, isn't it?" Fresh continued. "To love someone, but know that no matter how well they can fake it and how much time they spend together with you, they're as hollow on the inside as those puppets you play around with. You know well that I can't feel. And yet you let yourself get close to me, even despite that. You let yourself fall in love." Fresh laughed, lowering his glasses to give Error a wink. "It really sucks, bro. Don't it?"

Error's eyes were dark and his expression was blank. He didn't look angry anymore. Just...tired. He looked at Fresh for another moment before turning away, trying to ignore the pain in his heart. "Then why the hell are you still here? Just leave already if you're going to..."

Fresh just shrugged. "Why would I leave now? I've got an obligation to Blueberry. Plus, you're an interesting dude! Can't deny that. A hella cool bro. And this relationship is pretty fun. It just makes things even more interesting." Fresh smirked. "I can't wait to watch you fall apart~"

A scoff was Error's only reply. "...Yeah, whatever."

"Haha, I know you love it too! You haven't been close to anyone like this in a long time. Knowing you have somethin like that, even if it can be taken away... It's exhilarating for ya, ain't it? You're afraid, but you're happy too. And most of the fear comes from the happiness itself!" Fresh chirped. He leaned back, putting his hands behind his head. "Heh. Emotions really are something. Not that I would know, of course."

The other merely rolled his eyes. "You're ridiculous..." He muttered under his breath. He knew that everything Fresh had said was true, and that scared him. Fresh couldn't feel the same way that he did, and he probably never could. Sure, they could cuddle and kiss all they wanted, but that didn't mean anything to Fresh. He was empty. Emotionless. A parasite.

A long time passed, neither of them talking, before Error sighed, patting the ground next to him. "Just...get over here, dork."

The parasite stared at him in surprise before breaking into a huge grin, getting up and rolling over on his heely's. He plopped down next to Error happily. "Radical!" He cheered, leaning against him with a smile and resting his head on his shoulder. Error stiffened, but after a few very tense moments, he started to relax again, leaning his head against Fresh's and hesitantly putting an arm around him.

"This is stupid..." Error grumbled.

"Yeah. Totes." Fresh grinned as he curled up in Error's embrace.

After a few moments, Fresh went back to talking enthusiastically about terrible movies, like nothing had happened, and Error wondered why he had let himself fall for this guy in the first place. He knew it would probably just end in heartbreak. It always did. But for now, he tried to ignore the thoughts, tried to concentrate on the person curled up next to him and the sound of Fresh's voice, instead of the voices in his head that spoke bitterly of betrayal. The two of them just stayed like that for a very long time.