Chapter 2: The Results

Myst runs home as fast as she could, because she had news to tell. She rushed into her house in the clouds, "Mother! Father!" she calls, "I'm back!"

"Myst! Oh my dear how was it?" her mother asks as she meets her daughter in the kitchen with her spear.

"It was interesting, the High Angel was very nice," Myst smiles.

"What did he say?" her father asks as he comes into the kitchen.

"He said thank you to me!" Myst squealed.

"Wow! That's wonderful sweetie!" her father beams.

"Why, you must be special because he never said that to me or your father," her mother beams as she finishes polishing her spear.

"So what item did you choose?" her father ponders.

"I chose the doll, it felt like it was calling out to me so I took it," Myst explains.

Her mother and father look at one another in silence, they turned their faces away from Myst so she couldn't see their smiles. They knew her fate was, but it was forbidden to tell her unless they wanted her to take the angelic courses all over again.

"What?" Myst asks with fear.

"Nothing, we're just happy for you honey," her mother smiled.

Myst sighed and went up to her room, hooping that the results would come very, very soon.

***

Myst awoke to a soft knock on her door, "Myst," her father called, "Time for dinner."

She stretches before getting out of bed, she follows her father into the kitchen and they eat in silence until her mother says, "Here's your results."

Myst stared at the letter with her mouth agape, "When did this get here?"

"A little while after you went up ti your room, we were instructed to give it to you after dinner," her mother explains as Myst breaks the envelope's seal and takes out the parchment paper inside. Her eyes dart across the page as she quickly reads the letter. When she finishes she looks up at her parents and gasps.

"I'm going to be a guardian angel."