Prologue: Winter

She walked down the street of her destroyed village, holding her three years old sister close. "Tsukumo." She whispered. "Calm down. I promise things will get better." The little girl in her arms sobed and looked into her eyes. "Izumo... You... Promise?" Izumo smiled at her sister. "Yes Tsukumo." She layd a hand on the back of her sister's head. "You're my treasure. I won't let anything happen to you."

Izumo and Tsukumo walked to their house. Or more: That what supposed to be their house. Izumo stroke her long, red-purple hair out of her face and looked at the ruins. "Mom..." she whispered. "Why...?"

It has only been three days since their mother Tamamo was possesed by the fox spirit. She destroyed the village (it was a small village, so small that it took only five minutes for her to destroy it) and killed herself before she could cause more damage. The two sisters were the only survivors of that misery. 

It was really cold outside so the two girls went to the only building that was halfway intact: The Inari shrine. Tsukumo shivered so Izumo went inside and held her sister close. No matter how many times Izumo told her self that the things will get better, she knew that they wouldn't survive like that: they havn't eaten since three days. The only water they have was from the crushed spring at the edge of the village, and the winter was getting harder and colder each day. She looked at the Inari fox statue that sat on top of the column in front of her. "Oh great goddes Inari... Why did you leave us? I wish you could help us..."  She looked down and saw that Tsukumo fell asleep, gently sucking her thumb. Izumo couldn't imagine anything worse than losing her. 

There she was. Only eleven years old and at her limit.

"Hang on Tsukumo." She thought. "I'll protect you. Come what may.."