Chapter 3

Hi my lovelies,

Here is chapter 3. @Pingerrain commented the previous chapter was a cliffhanger. What do you all think? That's the whole point when you want to move into the next chapter right? Lol! Cliffhangers are there to frustrate readers. I know I get frustrated when I need to wait to know what happens next.

I'm on a roll here, one chapter after another. I want to keep the updates close, otherwise you readers will run out of stories to read and will have to wait for quite awhile before an update happens.

Ok, time to stop blabbering and move onto the next chapter.

Please vote, comment and share!! Again, I would love to hear from you guys.

With love,

Reis xx

Chapter 3

The birthday celebration had ended and the guests were all beginning to leave. Gareth watched Autumn from a distance, speaking with Pris's parents. He was joined by Vincent MacLean. He gripped Gareth's shoulder and gently squeezed it. "From the way you look, I take it that she did not take up your offer for lunch.", Vincent said gently. Gareth only sighed and nodded. "Give her some time.", was all Vincent said as he pat his friend's and walked on to give his thanks to the hosts before leaving.

Gareth walked up to Nicholas, who was carrying Aemee, who apparently thought that playing with her Dad's hair was fun. Gareth chuckled at his friend. Nicholas smiled at his best friend and nodded to the direction of Pris and her parents. Autumn was talking, or rather debating with them about something that is apparently getting her riled up. He heard something about extending her stay in London. Gareth did not want to get his hopes up. "If she does extend her stay, you will need to thank the Duchess.", Nicholas reminded him. Gareth only nodded.

#

"But God-Ma!! I don't want to stay longer than necessary!", Autumn raised her voice a notch, clearly upset at what her God-mother suggested. Pris put her hand on Autumn's arm, trying to calm her down. "Your grandparents have agreed to it, and it will happen. You have not returned to visit us for 3 whole years, and we are only asking for you extend your stay for at most a month. Is it too much to ask for?", her God-mother chided her.

Autumn took a deep breath to clam herself down. She should not have returned to London at all, and all this would not have happened. She should have expected something like that from her god-mother.

"And besides, Priscilla is due anytime soon. I'm not having you miss this birth. You missed her Royal wedding and the birth of Aemee. I'm having you stay for this one. I know why you left and never returned, but it has been three years.", her god-mother explained. Autumn looked at her very pregnant best friend. Pris smiled at her, obviously aware of the pain she is going through right now. But she knew that her god-mother was right, it was not fair to them that she upped and ran back to Singapore again. She had done it once, and nobody faulted her, not even once, for choosing not to return. Autumn was torn. She very much wanted to be supportive to her best friend, but at the same time, she wanted to protect herself. Seeing Gareth again was already bringing back the heartaches. She looked at Pris and her god-mother, tears were about to spill from her eyes. Pris squeezed her friend's arm.

"Mama, let us give Autumn some space to think about it. We should be glad that she is here with us now. Coming back to London was a huge step for her. Let us not push it any further for now. She has only arrived last night, and I believe that she is tired.", Pris suggested gently. Autumn squeezed her friend's hand in thanks. Pris pat her arm knowingly. Her god-mother reluctantly agreed and left.

After all the guests had left, Autumn retired to her room after Pris reminded her that dinner will be at 7pm that evening. She had decided to stay with the Royal family. Staying at the Ridges estate meant blind dates that the Duchess, her god-mother, will plan for with every eligible gentleman in her circle of friends. Autumn cringed at that thought. She fell face first onto the bed and laid like that for a good five minutes before she decided that she would suffocate and die if she didn't get into a more comfortable position. She turned up to look up at the ceiling. Autumn sighed. She had not seen Gareth after speaking to him during the celebration. She closed her eyes and the memories came flooding back.

Flashback

"I bet that she will have your green eyes and your mischievous streak." Autumn informed him with a sad smile as the tears flowed from her eyes. Gareth looked at her confused. "This is Chloe at four weeks, and this is her at eleven weeks.", Autumn sobbed softly as she handed the ultrasound photos to him. Gareth stared wide eyed at the photos. "You were pregnant? I was a father?", was all he managed to say. Autumn nodded. "Why didn't you tell me?", he asked, pain in his eyes. "I wanted to at Christmas, it would have been the perfect gift to you. But now, she is no longer. I'm sorry.", she whispered.

Tears slid from her eyes as Autumn laid on the bed. Her violent stalker ex-boyfriend managed to track her down. He'd found her and attacked her. She could not protect the baby, and it tore her heart having to tell Gareth. Gareth never blamed her for what had happened, and he assured her that they had many more opportunities for children. But she had never stopped blaming herself for what had happened.

#

Gareth returned to his apartment.

Many would have thought that a Duke would live in a Manor or something. But Gareth liked his apartment. It was cozy and more importantly, his work studio was based in the unit below him. And the location was just a short drive to his office, where his brand MONOBlanc was based at. It was a project he had worked on with Pris, which focused on mens'wear, way before she married the Royal Prince.

He shrugged of his jacket and slumped onto the couch. He had thought of heading straight to his work studio after the celebration, but after Autumn declined his offer, he did not have the mood to go back to work. Gareth sighed and rested his head and stared up at the ceiling. His phone beeped and he dug into his trousers to retrieve it.

Dude, sorry that this is last minute. Dinner at my place tonight? Nic.

Would Autumn be there? She was staying with the Royal family after all. Gareth contemplated. Another beep.

If you are wondering, yes, she will be joining us for dinner. You will need to thank Pris for that. Nic.

Gareth chuckled. His friend, for some odd reason, always knew what went through his head. It had always been the other way around before his breakdown, as much as he could remember. After Nicholas married Pris, their roles switched. And Pris, he was extremely appreciative for her help and support when he was recovering in Scotland after his breakdown. Without her encouragement and her insistence, he would not have been able to pick up the pieces to move on and be where he is today. A successful bridal fashion designer with his own line of gowns.

Gareth never really figured out why he had the breakdown in the first place. Both Nicholas and Pris never gave him a definite answer to this question. They were afraid that he would slip back into depression if he knew the reason. He had stopped asking eventually, but it was constantly on his mind. Gareth picked his his phone and replied.

See you later. G.

He looked at his watch. It was just after two in the afternoon. Gareth decided to that going back to the work studio would be a better idea than lounging around at home with all those questions on his mind. He got up and headed to the bedroom for a change of clothes.