ii.

my bus pulls up to school at around 8:45am. oh, by the way, i ride the bus now. i get my breakfast at school and then sit at one of the pillars and wait for the bell to ring. my first class of the day is trigonometry. kinda difficult, but i like math so it's cool. next, i have english, which i despise. after english, i head to lunch which is one of my favorite times of the day because i get to sit with the coolest nerds i know. but today, someone else is with them. she has long black hair and wide frame glasses. she reminds me of a little kitten. i take a seat next to ross and as soon as my butt hits the chair, the girl looks up at me with excitement.

"hi! i'm jess," she says.

"i'm olivia, nice to meet you," i say nervously. "i'm new here," i add.

"oh, no wonder i've never seen you before," she giggles. her giggle has to be one of the cutest sounds i've ever heard. she starts asking me questions like 'what is your favorite anime?' or 'what are your favorite ships?", to which i reply with a confused look because the only anime i've watched is pokémon and dragon ball z from my childhood and i'm not entirely sure what she means by 'ship.'

"how do you not know what a ship is!?" she exclaims.

"i don't know, why don't you explain it?" i ask. max groaned, informing me that i've made a terrible mistake.

"basically, a ship is when you want two people to date. for example, take ross and max," as she says that, the boys jolt up. ross hides his embarrassment as max gets angry. "their 'ship name' would be mithross," max and ross blush.

"i could see that happening," i join in on the teasing.

"stop it!" max yells as he blushes more.

"this is bullying!" ross says. jess and i laugh at their embarrassment.

"are you doing anything this weekend, olivia?" ross says, changing the subject.

"no, why?"

"i'm gonna have some friends over this weekend to play some games, would you be able to come?" he invites.

"yeah that'd be cool," i say. he says he'll text me the details so he hands me his phone. i text myself through his phone so we both have each other's number. max seemed hesitant to invite me, but he warmed up to the idea.

- - -

later that day, i get a text from ross.

ross: here's my address, and don't forget to bring your laptop!!

the next text was his address, which was only a couple blocks down the road. i was excited and nervous to go; i've only played a handful of games. the next day at lunch, we were discussing the plans when we heard loud hollering from a table near us. i looked over to see three boys laughing loudly.

"who are they?" i ask hesitantly.

"you don't have to worry about those guys. they're just stupid jocks," max said bitterly.

"don't mind him," ross glared at max. "those are jocks, but that one with the red hair is michael, the one with the glasses is adam and the one with the beard is barney,"

"actually, michael prefers to go by red," jess joined in.

"do you guys know them?" i asked.

"yeah. well, not really. we used to be friends," ross' expression changed to a solemn look. max still sat angrily, not saying a word.

"what happened?" i was still focused on the boys, who were now trying to catch popcorn in their mouths.

"its a long story," max muttered.