The Flee

Swara kept on wiping her tears vigorously and time and again checking on sobbing Sanskaar.
Sanskaar looked clearly shaken and was lying his head on his mother's lap. Sujata had lost look in her eyes and kept rubbing Sanskaar's forehead to calm him down.
Absolute silence prevailed in the car. No one had any idea what had happened all of sudden.
It took her quite a time to reach her destination due to her shaking hands but she managed. All the ride, Sanskaar never left her dupatta. But now, after almost an hour of that nightmare, he had quieted down and passed out cold.
She opened her Dida's house with shivering hand and ushered her bewildered mother-in-law inside along side her husband.
"Je hum kiske ghar mein agaye Swara?" Sujata Maheswari asked in confusion. She had never thought that she would have to run for her son's life like this. That too from their own family. If only her Ram was alive.......
Her breathe hitched while remembering his silent but strong rapport.
"Ye Dida ka ghar hai Mom. Pichle ek saal se wo Benaras mein hai, ghar khali hai. Iske bare mein kisiko nahi pata. Abhi k liye hum yaha safe hai," Swara replied giving her a reassuring smile.
They safely put passed out Sanskaar in sofa and Swara searched for the First-aid box.
"Mom, kafi waqt se ghar pr koi nahi hai na, lagta hai dawaiya expire hogayi hai. Main leke ati hu," she stroked Sanskaar's cheek once and walked out of house.
**************
All the way, she prayed that her friend was home and not out on her duty. After the third bell a bleary eyed young woman opened the door.
"Swara, tum iss waqt? Yaha?"
"Sayo," Swara breathe out in relief and hugged her long time friend, "tumhe andaja v nahi k tumhe dekh k kitna sukun mila hai dil ko. Mann ka darr kahi bhag gaya"
Finally Swara brokedown. She had kept herself strong for her mother-in-law and husband. But now infront of her friend she cried out her fear, dispair and relief.
Sayo hugged her back and caressed her hair lovingly.
"Sssh Swara. Shant hojao. Bas meri jaan. Main hu na. Sab thik hai. Sab thik hojaega........" and so on to calm her down.
Swara finally wiped her tears and asked for First aid. Sayo noticed her wounds for the first time.
"Swara, ye ye kya hua? Ye chot? Ruk main dawai laga deti hu," Sayo turned hurriedly.
"Nahi, wo Sanskaar ko pehle laga deti hu. Bohut chot ayi hai usko, bohut dard horaha hoga."
"Sanskaar ko v chot ayi matlab, accident hua kya? Kaha hai wo?"
"Dida k ghar"
"Main v chalti hu, Chal"
Both the ladies rushed back.
**********
Sujata was trying to wake up her son but when he did not budge she started to panic.
"Kathhe rehgayi Swara. Sanskaar, bachha uthh jaa. Thari mom bularahi hai na. Mhari baat na manega tu Chhore?" she wiped at his dried tear tracks.
"Mom"
"Swara. Dekh na kabse utha rahi hu isko, nahi uthh raha. K karenge? Mhare ko darr lagg raha hai Swara. Mhara Sanskaar........" she sobbed vehemently.
"Mom shaant hojaeye. Kuch nahi hua Sanskaar ko. Bas thak gaya hai. Aap v jao, aaram karlo."
After a lot of coaxing she finally succeeded in setting off her mother-in-law to rest.
Swara kneeled down infront of unconscious Sanskaar and applied disinfectant He woke up screaming...
"Nahi bhaiya. Sorry sorry please matt maro. I'm sorry."
She immediately grabbed and hugged him. Sanskaar too clutched her tight and tried to hide from imaginary torturer.
After a lot of persuasion he slipped back to fitful sleep.
"Ab bol. Kya chal raha hai?"
Swara turned back to look at her friend.
"Sayo......"
"I'm here Swara. Main hu na. Kya hua?"
Swara finally leaned back to hand rest of the sofa.
"Main shaam ko Sanskaar ki shopping list leke market gayi thi. Aur jab wapas ayi..... mere pairon tale ki jameen hi nikal gayi, Sayo. Sab kuch koi bura sapna sa laga..........."