goner

goner

The sweltering heat of Winchester, Massachusetts coated the open airfield, thousands of bodies roaming for ways to cool themselves off.

Brightly lit vests adorned the staff out on the vivid green grass and jets landed in formation for a crowd pleasing show.

The entirety of Winchester's high schools had flocked to the overheated location, the sun beaming down on the masses of teenagers and parents alike.

News crews and reporters, however, had managed to weed their way in for a breaking story of the US Air Force Thunderbirds' surprise show put together by Colonel Norm Patton for his hometown.

For a month it had been the only thing being talked about, and on the fateful day, everyone wanted to say they'd spoken to a real Thunderbird - the most elite pilots in military as the civilians saw it.

Drawn with a heavy start at 09:00 sharp, four high schools gathered in the cool morning prepared for a hot day of outstanding flight and throwing pies in the faces of their teachers.

"What made you bring the Thunderbirds to Winchester, Colonel?"

Danielle lifted her head at the sound of Lisa Summer's voice, not noticing her father had been pulled away by their local news station's star reporter.

Norm, decked in his flight suit with kind eyes and a glorious, sharp smile, stood next to an elegant blonde with a microphone held out towards him. "Winchester has always been home to me, and it was this airfield that I saw my first Thunderbirds show way back when I was in high school. It was what made me aspire to be a pilot, actually." He spoke with his hands softly, a nervous tick he had when he wasn't up in the air. "My daughter Dani and I came across some old pictures of that day when we were cleaning my parents' house while they were on vacation and since she's in high school herself, I felt like it was perfect timing."

"Did it take a lot of convincing to get your superiors to let you do a show out here for us?" Lisa asked, red lips curved in an on-camera smile.

"There were a few hoops, but our head was more than willing," replied Norm sweetly. He'd never been one to show his age; 24 years in the Air Force having left him looking like he'd only recently joined.

Danielle, leaned on the gating put up between the civilians and landing strip, smiled as she watched her father. She tucked a wave of black hair behind her ear before she retired her phone in the back pocket of her denim cut offs.

Lisa shared a small laugh with Norm, her tv persona bright and welcoming. "What do you have in store for us today, Colonel?"

"You'll just have to wait and find out." Norm shook Lisa's hand, the camera man lowering his extensive equipment once he did so. "Thanks so much, enjoy your day."

Dani clapped almost mockingly as Norm turned towards her. "Bravo, Colonel."

Norm slung an arm around Danielle's neck happily, pulling her closer as they started to walk towards the funnel cake booth. "My ellie-phant is always proud of her old man."

"Of course I am," Dani replied with a grin, hanging onto her dad's hand over her shoulder. "Except for when you put faces on my pancakes." Her smile grew as she received a hurt look from him, saying, "That's when I'm incredibly proud."