Chapter 1

(Y/n)'s POV

~When you're 4 years old~

I cried and cried. My father died trying to protect me. The vampire king, Nesta, had ordered them to kill him to get to me. My father had protected me and killed all of them but he died while doing so (I know a 4 year old can't say things this well yet but just bare with me). My mother died at childbirth. I huddled into a corner and cried myself to sleep.

~2 hours later~

I woke up but this wasn't my home.

"I see you're awake. We found you in a house full of dead bodies. I'm guessing some people tried to capture you." I looked down. Nobody should know what I am. I wanted Rem-nii.
"I'm Maria, that's Ritsuka and Lindo." I looked at a red head boy and brunette girl. They smiled at me.
"(Y-(Y/n)."
"You can live with us until you find a home," Maria said gently. I smiled slightly.
"Thank you, ma'am."

She helped me in the shower and gave me a new change of clothes. I was currently sitting outside, under a tree. I hugged my knees. I wanted someone to be there for me... Why was I alone again? Where was Rem-nii? Someone tapped my shoulder. I looked up. It was Ritsuka.

"Yes?"
"Would you like to play with us?" she asked.

I nodded. They both held out their hands. I held on and got up. Ritsuka sorta winced. I quickly let go of both of their hands.

"I-I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Ritsuka just waved it off. Her hand was fine, luckily.
"You're strong, aren't you? Well, it doesn't matter as long as we're friends, right?" she exclaimed cheerfully.
"Friends? What are friends?" They looked shocked. Lindo held my hands.
"They're people that aren't blood-related to you but you're still close to them. Everyone will have friends someday," he explained.
"Oh..." We played around all day. They were all really nice to me. They even had a grandfather.

~At night~

I tossed and turned. I just couldn't get to sleep. My father's death kept replaying in my mind. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"Can't sleep?" It was Lindo.
"Yeah."
"Come on." He grabbed my hand and dragged me outside. We climbed the tree.
"This is where I usually come if I need some peace," he said. Tears filled my eyes.
"Huh? What's wrong?"
"I miss my family..." He smiled gently.
"We're your family now."
"Thank you-"

I remembered what they said to me before they died: 'You're a monster! A beast! You deserve to be killed!' That was what the vampires had said. But my father had defended me...I clenched my heart.

"Lindo..." I blacked out.

~30 minutes later~

I woke up. Everyone sat around me.

"We're glad you're not sick or anything. Lindo said that you suddenly blacked out," Maria said. Oh...I explained to them the problem I had with my heart but I didn't explain why I had it.
"(Y/n), I'm happy to see you're awake," Ritsuka exclaimed kindly. I smiled at her. She was the first friend I made. She hugged me then went to bed.
"Good night Ritsuka."
"Night."
"If you don't mind, I would like to talk to (Y/n) about something," their grandfather said. Maria nodded and left. Lindo stayed.
"(Y/n), what are you exactly?" he asked.
"I uh..."
"It's fine, you can tell me."
"I-I'm a half vampire and half devil." Lindo's eyes widened however, their grandfather remained calm.
"I see. Lindo's a dhampir."
"You are?"

He nodded. They explained some things to me (except that Ritsuka had the grimoire inside her but you do know her father).

"Promise not to tell Ritsuka any of this?" I nodded.

~The next day~

I yawned. "Get up already, it's 10am."

Huh? I looked at Ritsuka. She was already up. I didn't realise. Oops, I overslept. She giggled.

"It's alright, here." She handed me some new clothes.
"Thanks."

She smiled. I quickly changed. I had breakfast before I went to play with them. Ritsuka stopped in front of a tree.

"Come here kitty." She held out her hands.
"Come down kitty."
"Don't worry, Ritsuka. I'll get it for you," Lindo said. He climbed up the tree. The kitten fell. Lindo jumped off and caught it. He was gonna hurt himself!
"Hmm? What's that?"

Ritsuka looked to where I was pointing. I quickly made a pile of snow underneath Lindo. It wasn't much but at least it kept him safe. I swiped and it disappeared.

"What was it, (Y/n)? I didn't see anything-" She ran to Lindo.
"Are you hurt anywhere?!" she asked, worried. He shook his head. The kitten was safe. It ran off. I winked at him. He smiled.
"We should go back." They agreed and we went back inside.

~In the afternoon~

It was raining heavily. Ritsuka wanted to keep the flowers safe.

"Go back inside!" Lindo ordered.
"But the flowers!"
"I'll build them an enclosure!" She hesitated but went back inside. I wanted to help him. I ran outside.
"(Y/n)!" Ritsuka yelled.
"Lindo!"
"Go back inside! I don't want you to get hurt!"

I froze. He cared...about me? I smiled. I made the rain freeze around him but I couldn't stop the freezing cold wind. I ran back inside.

~Some time later~

Ritsuka went inside Lindo's room.

"I'm sorry, this is all my fault." He had a cold.
"No, this means I just need to get stronger to protect you." I was glad they took me in, they were like...a real family to me.