Murder #2

That day, Annabelle woke up feeling miserable. Was it because of lack of sleep and food mixed with stress and depression, or because she saw a dead man? Probably the first one because she had already seen way too many dead people to be shocked by something mere like this. Well, not really mere. A life is a life, it's a gift from God to living beings, and God himself is a gift to people, because in the darkest times the last bits of hope are put in faith that he will save us all.
But Annabelle never believed in God.

She mustered all her strength to get up and leave this dark, depressing and choky room, so that the sun could warm up her face and Annabelle would remember why she doesn't hate this world so much. But what she found outside the door was shocking. Her psychologist was sitting on her red couch in front of her big TV and watching the news along with her best friend. That's a view you don't see everyday.

- What are you doing here? - Annabelle wants to ask, but all that comes out is a silent whisper. - I need water, - she says to herself and grabs a cup.

The sound awakens the two women from their trance and they both turn around. Diana immediately jumps up and runs towards Annabelle.

- Are you okay? How are you feeling? Does it hurt? Are you hungry?

- Shut up, - Annabelle manages to whisper before she gulps down another glass of water. - My throat hurts.

- Are you sick? - Diana slaps her friends forehead a little bit too harsh to check the temperature. - No, you seem fine. I'll just make you some tea. What do you want to eat?

- Can you please get me some salt, a lemon and tequila? I really need to drink.

- I'll make you an omelet, - she nods and pushes Annabelle away as a sign to sit down.

- How are you feeling? - Mrs. Parkens asks after examining Annabelle's actions this whole time.

- Elizabeth, hunny, there's no need to look at me like that. What's more important is what the hell are you doing here?

- A bit more sassy today, I see, - the psychologist says and writes it down in a little book.

- She's just grumpy because she's hungry. She'll be fine after she eats something, - Diana mumbles as if knowing that she has to tell this, but not wanting to tell it at the same time.
- And my throat hurts, - Annabelle adds, speaking as loud as she can and yet the other two could still barely hear her.

- I'm going to live with you for some time now, - Mrs. Parkens states a bit too confidently.

- No, - Annabelle shakes her head.

- I don't care what you're going to say, I'm staying here. It seems that someone is trying to trigger your memory and make you relive the hell once again.

- What do you mean?

But their chat was interrupted by a knock on the door. All of them gave short glances at each other and then Annabelle moved to open the door.

- Good morning, - a young man stood in front of the three girls with a green uniform and red cheeks, clearly a bit flustered with all the attention. He was young, about the same age as Annabelle and Diana, short, with muddy brown hair and dark blue eyes. He had a little beard which signaled that he hadn't been home for a few days. His smell was mixed with cologne and a bit of blood. The man cleared his throat and spoke, - I'm officer Smith and I have some questions for you. Do you know this woman? - he raises a hand where he holds a picture of a beautiful woman with dirty blonde hair and gray eyes.

- Isn't that Emily? - Diana asks as she moves a bit closer so she could see the picture better. - You know, the one from chemistry.

- Its does look like her, - Annabelle whispers.

- So I guess you know her. This is Emily Rose and she has been found dead near this area. Is there any chance that you saw something?

Annabelle and Diana shake her heads as no. Elizabeth looks in to the picture a little bit longer and then also answers no.

- We haven't seen her since high school, - Diana says. - I had no idea she lived not far from us.

- She didn't. This woman lives across the city, but her body was found in this area.

- Is it the same person that killed that other girl? - Elizabeth asks.

- We are not sure. But thank you for your time, - officer Smith turns away, but Annabelle's words stop him in his tracks.

- Does it mean there might be a serial killer on the loose?

- We don't know, - he answers firmly and walks away.

- Scary, - Diana shrugs and goes back to the kitchen which was connected with the living room.

- If there's a killer out there and he's active in this area, we might become his victims, - Elizabeth says, looking out the window, thinking of something.

- I don't think he'll kill us though. Neither of us has kids and we're not blonde.

- Emily had kids? - Diana asks.

- Yeah.

- How did you find out?

- There's this thing called Facebook, - Annabelle answers sarcastically.

All three of them sit in silence for some time, thinking about what they just heard. Their life can be at danger and it seemed that all of them should be terrified, but you could clearly see three different reactions from all three of them. Fear, interest and delight.

- By the way, - Mrs. Parkens raises her hand with a letter, - it seems you got yourself a fan.

- Give me that! - Annabelle snatches it from her hands. After noticing that its already open, she glares at Elizabeth and then Diana and only then she reads it. - Oh, I know this person. I got another letter from him in the past.

- You did? - both of them say at the same time, surprised.

- Yeah, - Annabelle nods. - He also quoted one of my books, and it was also the scene where I wrote about the murder. I guess this kid acknowledges my imagination.

- A murder scene? - Diana frowns. - Why would someone quote a murder scene?

Annabelle only shrugs and smiles. Second letter from her fan! Though it's not really a letter... But it's still a sign that someone is reading her books! She waited so long for someone to notice her and finally someone has. Soon she will become a famous writer and her wish will come true.

---

The rest of the day went by fast. All three of them, the new family, sat and watched television the whole day eating junk food or sometimes sleeping. Mrs. Parkens made Annabelle drink her medicine and eat something, and then kept on glancing at her the whole time. Something was off with Annabelle and the psychologist could clearly see it, but she couldn't grasp what it is. She seemed like her usual self, yet very different at the same time. As if something has changed, but nothing changed at all. Perhaps her guard was up because the news about the serial killer shocked her? Or maybe Annabelle seemed different because she got a letter? Elizabeth couldn't understand it.

Of course she wouldn't. The game has just begun.

--------------------------------
A.N.: Sorry for not writing for so long. I had no idea what to write and there were also some things that kept me busy. I'll try to write something new soon, but I don't know when. Enjoy!:)