Chapter 4

ANNABETH

Demigod? Pfft. Yeah right. Percy was probably some big geek who thinks that he's the son of Poseidon. Sure, he "controlled" the water, but I knew that that was just an illusion or something. The only reason I agreed with him was because I didn't want to break his little geeky heart. But I have to admit, that pen that turns into a sword is really cool. I wondered where he got it. I walked home quickly, trying not to think about Percy. When I got home, I saw my two little brothers, Bobby and Matthew, standing behind the door with giant grins on their faces.

"What are you twerps looking at?" I asked, dropping my bag.

"Mom's really mad-" Bobby began.

"At you." Matthew finished, like they'd been practicing. They grinned. I rolled my eyes.

"Why?" I asked, crossing my arms. Before either of my brothers could answer, I heard a loud voice.

"ANNABETH CHASE DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW WORRIED YOUR FATHER HAS BEEN FOR THE PAST HOUR?!" My step-mother shrieked, storming up to me. "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" She demanded.

"I was at a... Friend's house." I wasn't really sure what to call Percy.

"Wrong!" My step-mom said, pointing a finger in my face. "I called all of your friends' houses and they said that you weren't there!"

"This was a new guy that I met. He goes to my school."

"And why exactly were you at a BOY'S house? Was there any adult supervision?" Did I also mention that my step-mom was a rule freak?

"He's my partner for a project in Greek class. I just needed to talk to him about something. Anyway, is dad home?" My step-mom glared at me like didn't like me asking about my own father.

"He's in his study and does not want to be disturbed." She replied coldly and walked away.

"Does not want-" Bobby said.

"To be disturbed." Matthew finished. I rolled my eyes and made my way to my father's study. The door was open, and I could see my dad sitting at his desk. His back was faced to me and he was holding a piece of paper with a picture on it- a picture of a woman. I walked in quietly to get a better look. The woman had her dark hair in a braid and stormy grey eyes. She was standing beside a man- my dad- and holding a baby in her arms. She was smiling, but only faintly. She looked really familiar. I suddenly realized who it was.

"Dad?" I asked quietly. My father turned his head and broke into a smile when he saw me.

"Hello, dear." He held out his arm and I walked to him and gave him a hug. He kissed the top of my forehead.

"Um, dad?" I said. He nodded and gave me a look that said, Go on. "Is that woman in the picture... Is that mom? Like, my real mom?" My dad's expression turned sad. My mother had died just a couple months after I was born. I thought that my dad would get really angry and send me away, but he didn't. He just nodded.

"Yes, honey." He paused for a moment before continuing. "Your mother was unlike anyone that I had ever met. She was very, very beautiful and very, very intelligent. Just like you." Even though the comment was only coming from my dad, it made me feel warm inside. It would've been nice to hear it from a cute boy- cough, cough, Nathan- but still. I felt my cheeks turn red. I didn't say ?anything.

"When you were born, it was perfect." Dad said, looking at the picture. "But then she died." When he looked like he was on the edge of crying, I decided to leave. I walked to my room and closed the door softly. Flopping on my bed, I picked my phone out of my pocket and checked it. I had three messages from Alicia, three from Chloe, and six from Megan. I sighed and scrolled through them.

Alicia: Hey Annabeth

Alicia: Annabeth?

Alicia: Annabeth???????

Chloe: Annie

Chloe: Oh wait you don't like being called Annie

Chloe: Helloooo

Megan: Hi Annabethy

Megan: Annabeth

Megan: Helloooo

Megan: Helloooo Annabeeeeth

Megan: Aaaaannnnaaaabbeeeeeeeetthhh

Megan: Hello Annabeth where r u did u die or something

I texted the same thing to all of them: Sorry, I was at Percy's. In no more than two seconds, Megan replied with ten more texts.

Megan: WHAT

Megan: WHAT THE HECK

Megan: R U KIDDING MEH

Megan: YOU DID NOT

Megan: GO TO THAT SUPER HOT GUY'S HOUSE

Megan: OMG OMG OMG

Megan: #JEALOUS

Mean: WAIT TILL I TELL EVERYONE THEY WILL NOT BELIEVE IT

Megan: DID YOU DO ANYTHING

Megan: LIKE KISS FOR INSTANT?!?!?!!?!

Me: Oh my god Megan you are so annoying.

I finished my text message as someone burst into my room. I looked up and saw a small girl leaning against the door.

"Sienna, how many times have I told you not to come into my room without knocking?" I asked my eleven year old step-sister. She brushed her thin brown hair out of her eyes.

"Sorry! But it's an emergency!" She said. I crossed my arms.

"What kind of emergency?" I asked.

"It's Mark!" She said, flopping down on the ground. I sighed. Mark was a kid that Sienna had a major crush on, who also happened to be Megan's little brother.

"What did he do?" I asked, looking down at her.

"He asked me out, but ever since he's been flirting with Natalie!" She whined. This was ridiculous. The girl was eleven, and she was already talking about having a boyfriend? I wasn't even allowed to date until I turned fifteen!

"Just talk to him about it. Tell him how you feel-"

"Sienna!" My step-mom yelled while walking in. She saw her daughter lying on the ground, and looked furious.

"Why is she on the ground?!" My mom demanded. "Did you do something to her? Sienna did she hurt you?" Sienna sat up.

"No, mom. We were just talking." My step-mom glared at me, then walked out.

"She really hates you." Sienna said after a couple seconds. I turned my head and looked out my window.

"You have no idea."