24 | a very happy birthday

As Katie finished reading the last text, she, with no hesitation, opened the door. She saw Tom with a bouquet of roses and a small box wrapped with gold paper.

"Happy Birthday, Katie." With that, she quite literally ran into Tom's arms and hugged him with all her might. She was very much certain that she didn't want to consider him as just her best friend any longer.

"Thanks for the surprise via text," she giggles and continues on, "I have a question though." Katie felt her palms grow sweaty and her neck getting hot. Tom nodded and urged her to go on so she asked, "you really meant that?"

Tom's eyes crinkled as he flashed her a smile. He looked down and chuckled, "of course I did. I love you Katie. And I don't think I will ever stop."

Katie's eyes grew heavy and she felt the tears cascading down her face. Tom was quick to take action and wipe them with his thumbs. "I-I'm so happy," she said as she sniffled.

"If you're so happy, why are you crying?" Tom laughs as she leads Katie to her couch and runs his hand back and forth on her back to comfort her. Katie wiped the remaining tears and those that dried up on her face, she looked at Tom and said, "I love you too."

Tom felt his heart skip a beat as uttered said those four words. He hugged Katie and Katie's head was on his chest. "I can feel your heart," Katie puts a hand over his heart, "It's beating so fast."

"Your fault." Tom laughs as Katie pouts and slaps his chest playfully. Katie eyed the small box on top of her center table. "Is that my present?"

"No, but this is." As soon as Tom said that, he places his hands on both sides of her face, leaned in and kissed her. There were no fireworks or butterflies in their stomach because in reality, it's really just those tiny tingly feelings when their skin makes contact.

They didn't mind this because to them, what mattered was that they fell in love, offscreen.

They separated, both breathing heavily, as they tried to catch their breaths. As they were about to lean in again, the door opened and revealed the rest of the Civil War cast with Chris saying, "Wrong time?"

Robert whacked his head and said, "You bet. Let's go give these two some space."

As Robert closed the door, they heard arguing about wrong timing, courtesy of Sebastian, Sebastian explaining that Tom said he just needed 15 minutes until they could go in, and the duo heard some cries as well. They figured those were from Lizzie, she was their ultimate shipper after all.

The noise faded away eventually and they looked at each other and cracked up in laughter. Tom even managed to snort at one point but that didn't matter, they were happy.

"God, I love them." Katie said.

"God, I love you." Tom leaned in for another kiss and the rest was history.

---

THIS IS NOT THE END GUYS I'M JUST SAYING