Chapter 1

Zero disliked love, down right hated. It made you weak.

You'd fall flat on your knees for the person you love. You'd sacrifice everything you've built just so you be with your lover, even if for a moment. They'd be your obsession, distract you from your studies and your training.

Love wasn't a source of strength. It was a crippling disease.

Zero believed in greater purposes in life. He'd rather depend on himself. A hunter must remain stoic and distraction-less to rise, to be infatuated with someone would only make you stumble. To think anyone would look forward to caging their heart so willingly confused Zero endlessly.

Life... was full of ups and downs, more so on the downs. His mother and father recently passed, both victims of a car crash. It was a tragedy. He and his brother were the the only survivors; a miracle, as many would say. It was anything but.

Having his parents leave his life tore Zero's young heart, leaving shreds that could only ever feel content, never love. Some times Zero wished he died with them, but his brother's smile kept him going. Even if it was such a rarity.

Zero's journey did not include the twisted, deceiving path of love. The poor boy learned that the hard way.

He never cared about the words written on his wrist. Even now, as a seventeen year old, Zero had stuck to the same mentality. The words that dirtied his skin proved only a grim warning of the disease.

~

Kaname preached love, as so did his parents. It was beautiful. It's purity and power can entice any two individuals into sharing a conscious deeper than they can understand. Dipping your toes into its glowing depths and getting a simple taste of the sheer desire that comes over will make one easily dive with greed.

Kaname's mother and father are the source of inspiration for his wonders and fantasies of a soulmate, they'd said his soulmate would be everything Kaname needed.

Kaname's younger sister, Yuki, wanted to be his soulmate. She cried for days after her big brother told her the reality. She loved him, borderline worshipped him. Kaname loved her too, but in a brotherly perspective.

Yuki always made fun of the words written on Kanam's wrist with jealousy in her tone.

"Shut the hell up, Kuran"

Kaname would admit, those words weren't ideal for true love, but the higher power knew best.

How rogue his soulmate must be excited him.

He was grateful to even have a soul mate. He'd heard of too many cases of people born without any words. Imagining the possibly weighed heavy in Kaname's stomach.

He wondered how one could continue with the promise of a lonely life.

~*~

Notes: The situation is: Zero's parents died in a car crash and he's a human. Kaname's actually Yuki's biological brother in this one, and Rido doesn't exist.

I hope you guys look forward for what's to come!