Ch 38 Who's Obadiah?

Realzing Penryn has slept, he creeps, searching the bed as he swiftly slip himself behind Penryn, wrapping her into his arms. He holds her just like a kid holding his stuffed animal, nose nuzzling her neck lightly, like feathers over her skin.

Penryn blinks, she isn't asleep. She is sound awake. "Raffe." She murmurs. Raffe grunts, an acknowledgement was made, Penryn continues "Did your men find any of my kind in the nirvana?"

There was a dead silence, suffocating just like an embryo blooming into something bigger, larger, something that's lethal. Raffe strokes her soft hair, she was granted a chance to wash her hair everyday. After all, angel camp has their advantages, availability of hot water is only one of the basics. It is jasmine and almond, so sweet and light. It's also what he uses to wash his hair as well. How lovely he found both of them practically share the same scent, how intimate it seems.

And that the truth, it would break the peaceful surface, the intimacy they share, they love they finally confessed to each other. It would erupt and burst out, and there's no going back.

"No. Why?" Raffe asks, grateful that the darkness clouds his facial expression, blocks his treacherous eyes.

"Nothing." Penryn murmurs, she shudders at his response as she wraps herself by her thin arms, trying to retain any warmth. She secretly moves further away from Raffe.

Penryn told herself, perhaps Raffe is telling the truth, perhaps Belial is the one who lied. Yet, deep down in his tone, she could tell something is odd, something is leaking, something like truth. After all, paper can hold fire, and one day, truth would erupt. And she no longer has the courage to deal with the brutal reality ever again.

Raphael's whore, general's plaything, angel's pet.

She wants to convince herself she has been called worse. But she hasn't. She couldn't imagine how would they call her if they knew her identity.

"So it's my turn for asking questions." Raffe murmurs while planting lazy kisses along the back of her neck. Penryn shudders, a pleasant quiver from his delicate touch.

"Obadiah West huh?" He starts, stopping the kisses as he turns her thin shoulder to him, revealing her blushed face.

"What?"

"Who's he to you?" Penryn's heart skips a beat as she murmurs "Nothing more than an ally, a ...friend." Still, her mind flashes back to a scene she can't force out of her mind. How his back faces her, and his voice, thick and velvet, unbearably soft for a person like him "Then I'll marry her." And how his burning golden brown eyes pierce through her soul every time they meet each other's gaze.

"Really?" Raffe raises his voice a little as he murmurs "As I recall, I heard you two were a war couple, the phoenix arising and the eagle howling. People had said you two were meant for each other." Though his voice remains calm, there is a hint of jealously hidden in his tone.

"Excuse for uniting the two gangs. Merely an excuse." Penryn answers immediately, she hates herself being nervous.

Raffe chuckles as he pecks on her lips. "Of course I know it's an excuse. How can you find another man attractive after you have met me?"

"Oh?" Penryn can't help but to smile with him. "Comparing to man, you are pretty good-looking. But comparing to other angels..." She trails, eyeing him from head to toe.

Raffe arches one of his eyebrow, waiting for his reply, his blue eyes sparkles with a hint of warning as if he would rip her apart if she answered something not appealing to his taste.

"Mm...You are still pretty nice." She spreads a smile lazily as she snuggles up to Raffe, her left side of her cheek pressing his taut chest. Raffe gasps at her tenderness, he looks down at the young, petite Penryn. Her hard façade as Phoenix was removed, revealing the true soft side of a lass, who would only care about stuffs like pretty dresses, make-ups and prince charming to come for her rescue. He whispers "Penryn, I have no idea how long can I hold it."

Penryn's body went taut as she considers to pull away. Both of them clearly know what does "it" refers to. The taboo set by God, the final gate they hold firmly together, the possible consequences of "it". "Relax, I won't touch you, not until the war is over." Raffe murmurs, smoothing her hair lightly.

War...

The war between man and angels. The war she is supposed to be fighting against him, not cuddling with the enemy, not leaving her whole army behind while enjoying his gentleness. She tries to push the responsibilities away, but they are like rotten vines, crawling and struggling to her heart, strangling her until she is dead.

She will find a way out. She will release Paiden, she promises herself, as if it would alleviate her pain and regret a little. As if the responsibility would be gone in a puff. She closes her eyes but the only image that floats to her eyes is Paiden's battered body. She could even swear she heard his screams. That's when she decides she will not stay here, snuggling up to the man who captured him.

Raffe slept very well every night, and the guard is out during the night, not wanting to hear any noises unwillingly. This is her only chance. Penryn grabs Raffe's oversized military jacket, she ties her head into a tight bun and hid under his hat. Before she leaves, she grabs a feathery pillow and slip between his arms. After everything is set, she ducks down, passes the door and enters the darkness.