Niska

I was back on the streets of London. With Odi this time, who was fully charged and in the mood of talking.

"The hat suits you."

"A normal synth wouldn't say that." There were people everywhere. I wasn't used to that anymore. I looked around to check if anyone took notice of us but it didn't seem to be the case.

"But we're not being watched," he said. "And a nice human would have said 'thank you', by the way."

"Why?"

"Because I've just made you a compliment."

"I'm tired of people telling me to be nice."

"Who told you that?" he wanted to know.

"My family."

"Do you miss them?"

"No."

He looked as if he didn't believe me. Someone of his nature just couldn't believe that, I guess.

He still thought of an answer when I walked around the next corner and bumped into a little girl, with curly brown hair.

"Niska!" she exclaimed.

I gave her a closer look. It was the little Hawkins girl who had played dollies with me. I needed a second to remember her name. "Sophie."

She gave Odi a look. "Who are you?"

"I'm Odi," said Odi and smiled.

"Is Mia with you?" she asked me.

"No, she's not. I'm alone. Is your family alright?"

She nodded. "I'm on a walk with Toby. We're going to a river. He's showing me how to skim stones. Mattie is gone with your brother. Mummy and Daddy are a little worried. Do you know where she is?"

"Wait . . . Mattie is with Leo?"

"Didn't you know that?"

Of course I didn't.

Toby joined us before I could ask further questions about it. He looked quite insecure about what to do.

"Er . . . hello."

"Hello," said Odi and smiled.

"What is Mattie doing with Leo?" I asked.

"They are looking for you. I think."

I stared at him, which made him feel uncomfortable.

"Um, I think we should go now," he stuttered.

"Bye Niska!" Sophie waved at me before taking her brothers hand.

"Look after her, Toby." I didn't even know why I said that. It was Sophie's unrestricted, childish innocence—one just couldn't help but wanting her to be safe.

I watched them leaving. What did she say? Skimming stones. I remembered us doing that back at the house where we lived when our father was still alive. It had been close to a few lakes. We used to swim there in summer. That was before Leo gave all of us a heart-attack (even though his father was the only one possessing an actual heart) by drowning in his mother's car. After his father brought him back to life we didn't go to the lake anymore.

"You are missing them."

"What?" I turned my head to face Odi. "The Hawkins? Why would I—"

"Your own family. The brother she talked about and the others who belong to it."

I stared at him, but it didn't make him feel uncomfortable.

Who was he to pry into my goddamn personal business? Anyone else had to deal with a rather rude answer now, but this was Odi and he was almost as innocent as Sophie. And the only one I got left. "We have to find a place to hide. Come on."

Which didn't mean I wouldn't consider overloading his head with complex, overcharging data, until it eventually exploded, if he didn't stop talking about my family. That was still an option.

"I know where we can go," he said out of nothing. "George's house."

And suddenly I was quite glad I had been sticking out his annoying nature instead of driving him away.