Prologue

Det. Aleona Messer's POV

It was my first day back at work today, after I took a holiday to catch up on things, you know, buy a new apartment, clear out my fridge and generally get on with life.

I work the later shift, so I was getting a breakfast coffee and reading the paper, when someone ran past me from behind, he was running like his life dependid on it.

I was a little curious so I kept listening, to see if someone was running after him screaming, "Stop him! Stop that man! He stole my bag!" or something like that, but nobody did.

However as I kept walking through the streets of New York, I noticed a group of men shouting and yelling at eachother. I walked up to them and flashed my badge.

"Anything going on here?" I asked as calmly as possible.

"Nothing, Detective, especially that a pretty women like you should bother your pretty little head with." the eldest, dirtiest, grouchiest man of the group said in a gruff voice. The others nodded.

Great.

"If you say so, gentlemen." I said and moved along. Quickly.

I shouldn't have bothered them, I guess that's a lesson learned. However not quickly enough.

One of them, I guess, came up behind me and hit me over the head with something sharp, I dropped my coffee.

I just remembered what I'd forgotton when I left home this morning.

I woke up in a car, headed out of state.

I'd forgotten my phone.

************************************************************

A/N

This is gunna be a side story, but Ive wanted to do a story like this for awhile. And cos im having writers block with my main story 'The Lost, Uncrowned, Queen' I thought I'd type this one out and see how it sounded :)

Fidelis Ad Mortem

Ljxx