17 James

"James Potter, put me down this instant before I hex you so badly that Voldemort will be proud!"

Laughing maniacally, I pulled into a secluded classroom and set her down.

"He'll be proud, huh?" I teased as she punched me in the arm. 

"What the hell do you think you are doing?"

I had just carried her out of potions, purposely making her avoid Remus for the second time; Last night, I'd done the same thing at dinner.

"Helping you, of course."

"How so?"

"I'm going to help you ask Remus out."

I was met with silence. 

Then, she sighed. 

"Was it not bad enough that you made me kiss him? Now I have to ask him out?" She asked, sighing as she ran her hands through her hair. 

"Yup. It's almost Christmas, so we will have the holidays to figure it out. We just need to formulate a plan to make him realize the-what?" I cut myself off when I noticed her expression. 

"I can't go to your place."

"Why not? You haven't in years, they can't possibly be looking for you there."

"I can't. My...parents have been in touch. I need to stay here so they can't find me."

I sighed, noticing that she suddenly looked very vulnerable. Engulfing her in a hug, I tried to comfort her. 

"Hey. Your parents can't get through here. I know it's tough, but soon they will be caught and you can come over again and you don't need to keep your family a secret. My parents don't even hate you anymore." 

She looked at me. 

"Really? Why not?"

"They know that you aren't like them. You aren't a death eater like your parents."

She looked down. 

"But they want me to be. And if they find me, they'll force me to turn."

I knew this was true.

"Everything will be fine."

As we left the classroom, I knew it had to be. I had to make everything fine. 

Ashlynn Elmer would not become a death eater if I had a say in it.