The Monster Beneath

She only rose from the depths when something disturbed her waters. This time, it was only little - almost unnoticeable. A man's face peered into the mirror-like liquid, and she couldn't help but wonder to herself what his story was.

She willed herself to rise, out of the grasps of the cold fingers of long-dead regrets that tried to hold her down. The scene was always the same; it was always the same picturesque meadow. Splashes of floral colour were dotted amongst soft grass that reached the knee of even the tallest man, and the breeze sang in the canopies of the trees whilst the leaves danced to it's melody. The skies were pastel blue - white fluffy clouds spiralled high, higher than she could ever dream to soar.

He knelt on the grassy bank, scooping handfuls of her home into his gullet by the gallon. His hair was golden and fell in waves around his ears. Speckles of gold were flecked along his jaw. He wore a simple cream tunic, embroidered with a pretty red ribbon, detailed with cream designs that reminded her of a labyrinth. At his hip was a leather pouch, filled with wonders she wanted to touch and feel, hold and cherish.

She moved forwards silently, a curious look in her eyes. More of what felt like fingers clutched at her ankles, tight and unrelenting, slowing her movement as she advanced, her eyes bearing down upon him. Ripples spread across the surface of her mirror, distorting it's reflection. No longer could she see the bottom of the pool, nor its secrets.

He only noticed her approach when she was mere inches away. Unlike many of the others, he did not seem surprised to see her - instead, he appeared relieved, reinforced by the fact he scrambled towards her as he realized who she was. She recoiled slightly, pacing backwards, but the icy cold that shivered up her legs pushed her forwards once again.

"Oh, thank you, thank you." He appeared to be in prayer as she approached a second time, drawing ever closer to the shores of her home. His hands were clasped tightly together and his eyes were squeezed shut; by the time he had opened them, she was right in front of him, in the flesh and blood, but with the air of an apparition.

She blinked once, cocking her head to the side. "I'd be careful in these woods." She began, slowly, seductively, lulling him forwards with her tone. "There's a killer out here." He drew forwards, so close that she could hear his heart beating against his chest, giving away his fear.

"You have to help me, Miss. I'm horribly lost." He admitted, looking over both shoulders. His fear was apparent, and she had to hide a smirk while his back was turned. He was like a fawn - pretty, yet fragile. One snap and he would be gone.

He allowed himself to fall back, away from her, and she turned her back to him. She could see herself in the water now - or rather, the illusion she allowed to be seen. Her hair, blackened and slickened by water, stuck to her wet skin, pale as snow and speckled with water droplets. Her eyes were a murky green, the same shade as the water in the deepest area of the pool. Her lips were painted red.

"Come closer." She murmured softly. "I will keep you safe from the outside world." She watched as his eyes glazed over, his fear leaving him. Slowly at first, and then more urgently, he crept forward, towards the water's edge, where she hid the horrors of these woods. She smiled as he reached out for her, but then pushed himself away once again.

"No! I will not fall for you, nor your tricks." He shook his head, looking utterly distraught. Her face fell. "My tricks?" She asked, drifting closer and closer to the shore, shaking off the fingers clawing their way up her leg as she did so. "What do you mean?"

"Only monsters have beauty like you." He began, but as soon as he opened his mouth, more began to tumble out. "A solitary pool, a lone vixen, and a lost man. You're a trap." She regarded him slowly, a smile creeping across her face like a ghost. "My beauty?" She spoke slowly, shaking her head. "Come here." She commanded, and she watched as he did so.

She held his wrist gently, easing herself up out of the water, although the skeletal hands kept her tied down, drowning her.Her other hand reached up to his cheek, before she slid down, delighted as he followed her, watching her face gently. "You know what they say about beauty - what matters is what is beneath the skin." She smiled sweetly at him, which only grew bigger as she watched him fumble, his heart beating wildly. "And beneath mine, well," She laughed, a soft, musical sound, as melodic as church bells, "you were right. I am a monster."

She tightened her grip on him as he began to struggle. Her grip was crushing, like a vice. He had no escape as her lips pressed against his, in a kiss of life - his life would feed her, preserve her. His sins would condemn him, but save her. "You were mine from the moment you entered these cursed grounds. Only the forsaken may awaken me."

He was struggling now, he could feel his life ebbing away, giving her the perfect opportunity to drag him in with her. The water cleared. The skeletons scaled the man's legs, ripping and plucking, peeling flesh away from bone, and tainting the water red. She could feel her own flesh begin to melt away, dripping from her face to reveal her true self. "I am a monster, just like you. You are a cheat, a betrayer of love." She began, holding him into the water despite his screams. "I am the punisher of those who have sinned."

"I am Lust."