~35~

FINAL

Jessamyn's POV

We arrived at the gymnasium which was bumping with music and excitement. Leah and I had our arms linked together as we entered through the doors, gaining numerous people's attention on us. Leah tensed up beside me as she had noticed this also and I nudged my elbow in her side. She looked at me with something unreadable in her eyes. I leaned my lips in next to her ear so she could hear me over the noise and said, "don't worry, you look great!"

She smiled and spoke into my ear, "I think they're looking at you, Jess."

I rolled my eyes. How could she be so oblivious to her beauty? Eyelashes like feather dusters, skin smooth as heaven and copper toned, long legs like a supermodel, short hair that framed her face perfectly, eyes that resembled milk-chocolate pools and gleamed a hazel tone in the sunlight, high cheek bones, a sweetly structured jaw line that led to her fully shaped, naturally pink, warm, luscious lips. Exotic beauty. How couldn't she see it?

All of a sudden, I thought back to meeting everyone at Leah's house. I'd met them before, but I didn't really introduce myself or learned exactly who was who. There were a few guys who stuck out to me and some who I didn't have a good feeling about. I already knew Paul and Jared were alright but troublemakers at the same time. There were also two very young boys whom I'd forgotten the names of, but I felt like they were too young to hang around that crowd. Were they wolves too?
I remember meeting Quil and Embry, who seemed pretty nice. Embry reminded me of my oldest cousin, Evan, and I wanted to get to know him better. I met Jacob as well, who I already knew about because Leah had spoken of him before, mentioning their closeness. There was a guy standing next to a lovely woman, who had scars all over her face. The guy had gazed me intensely and narrowed his eyes as if he was judging me. Later on, I had noticed that he disappeared and never spoke a word to me but the woman with the mauled face stayed and politely introduced herself before leaving. Her name is Emily. I'm assuming that she had left to go find that guy who seemed pissed at the world and everyone in it. There was undeniable tension between Leah and Emily and they hardly even looked at one another. Did they hold a grudge on each other?

That's when I'd realized that Leah's past was still a stranger to me. Of course, she wasn't very knowledgeable of my  past either, but it's strange that I feel like I've known her for years when in reality, maybe I don't know very much about Leah Clearwater at all.

Prom is no place for thinking about problems that can be solved later, though.

*** *** ** * ** *** ***

After a little while of dancing and laughing at Leah trying to follow my moves with her two left feet, we decided to chill out and get some refreshments. There was a table that contained styrofoam cups and 2 Liter bottles of sodas and there were fruits on dishes and paper plates and there were Yeti coolers full of Aquafina water bottles. I downed my bottle of water in about ten seconds and ate some cubed pineapples to get my mouth moist again. I couldn't help but wonder, how is prom going for everyone back in Tennessee? Are they having fun? Who's dating who? Who's the prom queen? Prom king?

Out of the blue, the last person I'd expected to speak to me, plopped down next to Leah and I. Leah raised her eyebrow, instantly recognizing the redhead. Ray.

"Hey, Jess, how's your night going?" She asked, crossing her legs.

Her red hair had grown out a little more, her skin was still pale, her body was still athletic. She had on a suit and to be honest, that didn't surprise me. Ray was like a "stud". I'm not going to lie, she looked pretty hot.

"Oh it's great, how about yours?"

"Pretty nice. You came with Leah, huh?" she asked, leaning forward to look around me at Leah.

I nodded, not exactly liking her tone. "Who'd you come with?"

"My cousin," she answered and pointed her finger over at Zoe. I resisted my urge to roll my eyes.

"Where's Candice?" I asked between clenched jaws.

Ray laughed. "I don't know. I think she went off to Seattle for the night. You know I don't talk to them,"

I crossed my arms. "I know. But you still hang around with Zoe, so...."

"Actually, she doesn't speak with Candice or Kay anymore. And I'm sorry for not talking to you. I thought you just wanted your space after everything that happened," she added.

Leah's body tensed up next to mine. Uh oh...

"Okay!!!" Leah said loudly and stood up. "That's enough chit chat. Come on, Jess!"

She grabbed my hand and pulled me away into the crowd of dancing seniors.

"What was that all about?" I asked.

"I don't like how she was looking at you. Plus, she smelt awful," Leah whispered in my ear.

I chuckled. "You smelt her?"

Leah nodded nervously but laughed. A slow song began playing, and everyone started to find themselves a dance partner. My heart started pounding. Would Leah ask me to dance?

She placed her trembling hands on my waist and pulled me closer. I gulped. "Oh! That's right, you've got the nose of a blood hound," I said, trying to distract myself from her touch.

"No. The nose of a wolf," Leah corrected with a wink. My brain turned to mush and I put my arms around her neck. We swayed back and forth to the overplayed song 'Thinking Out Loud' by Ed Sheeran. It may have been overplayed but in this moment, with Leah, it was like the first time hearing it. Leah's eyes gazed into mine, her passion radiated off of her and swallowed me whole. I looked at her hips, gently swaying along with the music and my lust immediately clashed with her passion, making a beautiful combination. It amazed me how our energy manifested itself so clearly between us. No one else could ever understand this bond, only we  could understand. Everyone else most likely thinks our bond is just strong admiration, just by looking at us from a distance. It was much more than that though. That's what makes Leah and I unique.