15

Is it too late now to say sorry?

Cause I'm missing more than just your body

--

Day three.

Sammy hasn't woken up. His siblings had to leave yesterday and his parents are about to leave back for Omaha.

I hugged his mom, then his dad. I wished them safe travels and walked them to the elevator. When I came back to Sammys room, Nate was there. The memory from what I walked in on startled my mind again. I stopped in the doorway.

"Hi." He mumbled. Nate was a mess, bed head and sweats. "How is he?"

"He'll live. Coma, broken bones, fractured shoulder. It was a miracle that he lived." Nate shook his head and put it in his hands. He gave a shaky sigh and stood up, turning to me. He walked and tried taking me into his arms. I flinched away.

"Al?"

"I heard you and her." Nate stepped back.

"That didn't mean anything, baby."

"You'll dump me? That does that mean Nate? We both agreed that there would be no feelings and I think I'm good there for all I know but I thought it implied that we wouldn't have anyone else." I paused. "I know for me it's only been you for the past two years." Nate walked away and sat in the chair again.

"I've been seeing Clara since about six months ago." I nodded my head at that, trying to keep my jealousy in check. It was hard. "I've talked about you but she hates it. She-"

"Stop blaming it on her!" I said a little loudly. "For fucks sake you texted me to come over!" One of my hands flew to hold my forehead. Nates head slowly perked up.

"I didn't text you, Alessandra." His voice was low. I looked at him with a roll of my eyes. "No, Alessandra. I really didn't text you. Why the hell would I intentionally make you find out like that?"

He had a point. I groaned and returned to Sammys side. I took his hand and squeezed. But i slipped away and took Nate to the couch.

"I wouldn't have caused a big of a deal if you would've told me." I said truthfully. Nate opened his mouth to respond but from his mouth came a flat beep. What? Why was he beeping? But it wasn't him. It was Sammys heart monitor.

I looked over and there it was, the flat line of horror. I gasped and ran over to his control pad, hitting the nurse button thousands of times before running to the door.

"We need a doctor!" I yelled. But around the corner came the doctor and a bunch of nurses. "He-he flatlined." Behind me Nate emerged and he walked out into the waiting area, his head in his hands. The doctor helped me out of the door and he assured me they would take care of it, then shut it.

I walked over to Nate and took him in my arms. I hugged him tight. He pulled away after a minute, biting his lip to hold back the tears in his eyes. I lowered myself in a seat, looking at him with sympathy. Nate only fell to his knees and put his arms around my hips, burying his face in my lap.

My hands rested in his hair and rubbed his head lightly, showing him I was there.

--

"Are we letting this go?" Nate asked. Five hours ago they took Sam into surgery for internal bleeding. There was a small cut in his abdomen that they didn't think was major. Well they patched it up and well, it hit one of his organs. It slowly kept bleeding. And then it ripped. And that's what stopped his heart.

Nate has been a wreck. I mean that's his best friend. We shouldn't be worrying about us.

"Nate,-"

"No Al. We need to talk. Are we just going to forget what you saw? What happened?" We did need to talk. But hearing her and him just made jealousy I can't push down.

"We should. You have your own girls to play around with and I'm just another one. I understand that." A shakey sigh left my lips and I put my hands on my legs. But Nate sat up straight.

He growled and got up, stepping in front of me and crouching down. He lifted my chin with his fingers and looked me in the eyes.

"I was wrong for fucking with her while I was so deep with you." He pushed up and kissed me. "This is going to violate rules but Al, I care about you and this hurt you. I'm not putting you through this.

"I'm ending it with her."